909 Strut Top Fitment

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

909 Strut Top Fitment

Post by hEaT »

Anyone know if these will work with mc2's coilovers and B8s?

Cheers

Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Re: 909 Strut Top Fitment

Post by Esteban »

Someone found the ebay auction. John V may be the one to ask. I dont see why they wouldnt work with any XR/Cossie shock.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Esteban wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:52 am Someone found the ebay auction. John V may be the one to ask. I dont see why they wouldnt work with any XR/Cossie shock.
I'll see if I can find time to give him a call. I shot the seller a note and he's going to check for me too. I just need to mic the thread diameter on the B8s for him.
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

TimXR may know too.
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

They should work...it's 12mm for those and the spacers look correct. The mounting for the XR is identical for the Sierras. What bushing do you plan to use? You cannot use a powerflex strut top bushing as the inner shape does not match the 909 stuff.

JohnV makes his more for his coilovers which use a 3/4(19mm) pin on the top, which is really nice. He can easily do spacers for stock shocks as well.
I'm sure these are near identical utilizing a 3/4" radial bearing due to the cost being ~1/3 of a metric bearing. Seriously, why is metric stuff so expensive?
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

timxr8 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:07 am They should work...it's 12mm for those and the spacers look correct. The mounting for the XR is identical for the Sierras. What bushing do you plan to use? You cannot use a powerflex strut top bushing as the inner shape does not match the 909 stuff.

JohnV makes his more for his coilovers which use a 3/4(19mm) pin on the top, which is really nice. He can easily do spacers for stock shocks as well.
I'm sure these are near identical utilizing a 3/4" radial bearing due to the cost being ~1/3 of a metric bearing. Seriously, why is metric stuff so expensive?
Thanks. I never heard back from the seller after sending measurements on the B8s. Based on your comment, seems they wouldn't have worked anyway as I'm running the Powerflex Black bushings. No interest in going back to OEM.

I'll likely hold off for now. I saw them and figured why not if they'll work...but if I am planning more suspension upgrades I have more pressing things like adjustable TCAs, comp struts, etc.
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

i dont think he means you have to go back to he OEM bushes. But if they are like the Gofrey C/C adjusters, the struts mount directly to a pillow ball bearing. Dont think 909 stuff is meant to work with stock unless there is a special 909 bushing for it too.
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

Esteban wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:34 am i dont think he means you have to go back to he OEM bushes. But if they are like the Gofrey C/C adjusters, the struts mount directly to a pillow ball bearing. Dont think 909 stuff is meant to work with stock unless there is a special 909 bushing for it too.
909 upper strut bearing housings ONLY work with OEM bushings. You have to separate the upper "lip" portion of the bushing. I'm running a pair of Group N strut top bushings. The advantage is much of the twisting, odd load that occurs with the stock setup is removed by allowing the strut to articulate with a radial bearing vs via the bushing itself. I imagine, this will last the life of the car. IIRC, the Group A stuff utilized this setup with stock/Group N rubber.

You can always get the stock style poly bushings from Russ (Rapido) and make them work. I had some Duraflex ones that are already separate between the upper and lower portion, and the lower "donut" portion fit perfectly, then just cut the upper lip off of a stock bushing to fit under the upper ring and that's it. No performance disadvantage to the rubber upper due to the force being applied up. I plan to get a set from Russ just in case the Group N stuff isn't "stiff" enough for me, but I think it'll be fine. The issue is the ID of the bushing has to fit the bearing housing, which the Powerflex stuff is just too small.
100_0112.JPG
100_0112.JPG (245.66 KiB) Viewed 6791 times
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

timxr8 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:29 am
Esteban wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:34 am i dont think he means you have to go back to he OEM bushes. But if they are like the Gofrey C/C adjusters, the struts mount directly to a pillow ball bearing. Dont think 909 stuff is meant to work with stock unless there is a special 909 bushing for it too.
909 upper strut bearing housings ONLY work with OEM bushings. You have to separate the upper "lip" portion of the bushing. I'm running a pair of Group N strut top bushings. The advantage is much of the twisting, odd load that occurs with the stock setup is removed by allowing the strut to articulate with a radial bearing vs via the bushing itself. I imagine, this will last the life of the car. IIRC, the Group A stuff utilized this setup with stock/Group N rubber.

You can always get the stock style poly bushings from Russ (Rapido) and make them work. I had some Duraflex ones that are already separate between the upper and lower portion, and the lower "donut" portion fit perfectly, then just cut the upper lip off of a stock bushing to fit under the upper ring and that's it. No performance disadvantage to the rubber upper due to the force being applied up. I plan to get a set from Russ just in case the Group N stuff isn't "stiff" enough for me, but I think it'll be fine. The issue is the ID of the bushing has to fit the bearing housing, which the Powerflex stuff is just too small.

100_0112.JPG
Thanks Tim, good info! Looks to be a bit more involved than I want to get into now having just put the new coilovers in. I think for the amount of work, I would be better served looking into adjustable TCAs and comp struts vs replacing the Powerflex blacks at the top with this type of strut top.