Engine bay wires, where to connect them

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
mesa

Engine bay wires, where to connect them

Post by mesa »

Hi just trying to wrap-up my car and I have few connectors that I forgot were to connect them. First is the one that come from the fuel injector harness

The other one is the ground that connects to the engine mount support driver side that comes from?

Thanks for any help
88XRTi
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Engine bay wires, where to connect them

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I think I have that same black connector just dangling there on my 86xr like in the first pic, no idea. But that spade connector thing doesn't look stock. I will go out and look at it in the daytime.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Pretty sure that 1st one is the oil pressure sending switch connecter. If not, maybe the coolant temp on the lower intake. The 2nd one is a ground cable from the block. These are often missing, and should be replaced. You can never have too many grounds. One of these was amiss on Ryan's car, and the injectors refused to cycle. Must have been a fluke.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
mesa

Post by mesa »

Thanks so the engine block ground connect were from the block to? That's maybe why i can't have the car to start. Just finished install the fuel tank with wabro I can hear the pump prime but no start.
88XRTi
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Yes, round cap is for oil pressure switch.

The ground in your photo looks to have a centered hole; that fits over a bolt attaching the upper and lower intakes on the firewall side.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

I went out and took some pictures for you. That black cap in your first picture comes off the wiring harness above the fuel rail and goes down to temp sender under the upper intake. It's right behind the TFI behind the dizzy. Mine was disconnected since an aftermarket gauge was hooked up instead.
The spade connector in your second picture (if this is on your upper intake not the engine mounts) is a ground that goes from the upper intake to the firewall.
Your engine also has a ground from the block here to the neg battery terminal here.
I added a ground from the battery to the body.
This is also an important ground that runs to the ECM. Good luck.
mesa

Post by mesa »

Thanks andyofcolumbusmerkur I couldn't find the ground at the upper intake you were right about the temp connector.

I do have that ground spade at the motor mount that I dont know to were it goes. I will figure out something.
88XRTi
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Like dude said you can never have too many grounds. Maybe your's was changed around by previous owners. Easy enough to attach a new one. I'm still confused about some wire coming out of the motor mount. Also I'm told that a xr will start with most sensors dissconnected (even the VAM) but not if the oil pressure sending unit (the one to ecu not dash light) is disconnected. Run the Ford scan tool and see what it says. Good luck