Antenna Options

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
LITTELHAWK
Level 1
Level 1

Antenna Options

Post by LITTELHAWK » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:46 pm

I am working with an '87 with the defrost grid antenna. What are the best options you guys have found?

I am not against drilling a hole to mount an aftermarket roof antenna and I'm not really against fixing the grid antenna except that I can't find the wiring for it.

Would it be feasible to tape a mast antenna to the top of my headliner and just use that? I don't live in forests or mountains or anything (as of now at least) so signal doesn't have to be caught from a distance.

I also plan to eventually upgrade from the stock radio so I could use my phone or whatever to play music through it, but at least for now, I would like a working radio. I'm using a cassette adapter now.
'85 Mineral Blue & '87 White Barn Find parked in '92

Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Antenna Options

Post by Mike McCreight » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:21 am

I used the antenna/cable from a Mazda 3.
I had the aftermarket version on a previous XR, and the Mazda 3 version was vastly better in every way, and cost almost noting at the JY.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!

DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:04 pm

I have one of a roof-mounted antenna that was originally meant for cell reception back in the day. While it fits for the era of the XR, I'll probably replace it with a shark-fin one soon.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:13 pm

DAReese wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:04 pm
I have one of a roof-mounted antenna that was originally meant for cell reception back in the day. While it fits for the era of the XR, I'll probably replace it with a shark-fin one soon.
...or you could let Mick Dundee use it for a boomerang. :headbang
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST
2015 Edge

my8950
Level 5
Level 5

Post by my8950 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:33 am

I have no radio in mine since I got it, I just use a brewtoof speaker. Not the best, but it works.

jkxr4ti
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jkxr4ti » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:05 am

I installed one of these amazon/eBay self adhesive glass mount deals about 2 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/FICBOX-Windowshi ... ref=plSrch

Performance isn't great but installs in about 20 minutes. I mounted mine on the passenger side of the windshield.
Not the best but it's an option if you have good signal local stations...
Merkur....Its German for Mutt....Mustang, Saab, Volvo, Lincoln, Contour, Cummins... and the list goes on.

Jeremy Kemp

1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI

Bob Weir
Membership Coordinator

Post by Bob Weir » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:20 pm

Out of curosity, I searched most of the forums and it appears VW is the popular one, however someone used a FUBA. And to note, there are wiring issues to the hatch and the antenna in defrost grid has it's share of complaints.