Antenna Options

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
LITTELHAWK
Level 1
Level 1

Antenna Options

Post by LITTELHAWK »

I am working with an '87 with the defrost grid antenna. What are the best options you guys have found?

I am not against drilling a hole to mount an aftermarket roof antenna and I'm not really against fixing the grid antenna except that I can't find the wiring for it.

Would it be feasible to tape a mast antenna to the top of my headliner and just use that? I don't live in forests or mountains or anything (as of now at least) so signal doesn't have to be caught from a distance.

I also plan to eventually upgrade from the stock radio so I could use my phone or whatever to play music through it, but at least for now, I would like a working radio. I'm using a cassette adapter now.
'85 Mineral Blue & '87 White Barn Find parked in '92
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Antenna Options

Post by Mike McCreight »

I used the antenna/cable from a Mazda 3.
I had the aftermarket version on a previous XR, and the Mazda 3 version was vastly better in every way, and cost almost noting at the JY.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

I have one of a roof-mounted antenna that was originally meant for cell reception back in the day. While it fits for the era of the XR, I'll probably replace it with a shark-fin one soon.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

DAReese wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:04 pm I have one of a roof-mounted antenna that was originally meant for cell reception back in the day. While it fits for the era of the XR, I'll probably replace it with a shark-fin one soon.
...or you could let Mick Dundee use it for a boomerang. :headbang
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

I have no radio in mine since I got it, I just use a brewtoof speaker. Not the best, but it works.
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

I installed one of these amazon/eBay self adhesive glass mount deals about 2 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/FICBOX-Windowshi ... ref=plSrch

Performance isn't great but installs in about 20 minutes. I mounted mine on the passenger side of the windshield.
Not the best but it's an option if you have good signal local stations...
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Out of curosity, I searched most of the forums and it appears VW is the popular one, however someone used a FUBA. And to note, there are wiring issues to the hatch and the antenna in defrost grid has it's share of complaints.