Can the EGR inlet be relocated?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
pvan

Can the EGR inlet be relocated?

Post by pvan »

Hi All,

After drilling out three snapped off bolts from my turbo housing, I'm about ready to start putting my engine back together. Looking over the parts I remembered that I still had to figure out how I handle the EGR. The Bob's log I purchased doesn't have an accommodation for the EGR and I was wondering if it can relocated to the down pipe without affecting it's performance.

Has anyone else been down this road before and have a solution? My intent is to daily drive this, so I I need it to be as reliable as possible.

Thank you,
Paul
John Brennan
Level 8

Re: Can the EGR inlet be relocated?

Post by John Brennan »

I believe there may be some pix on the Forum, possibly www.merkurtech.com Picture Pages (fun browsing that site anyway), but I have seen both custom pipes going to the original mounting point on rotated intakes, and custom bungs with extensions fitted to the rear ends of rotated intakes.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
pvan

Post by pvan »

Thank you for the link. I am keeping the stock location, but the Bob's log exhaust is cast iron and doesn't have a bung for the EGR. I'm wondering if I can add a bung to the down pipe instead, or will that mess with the computer?

Thanks,
Paul
pvan

Post by pvan »

I think I have my answer, or at least an answer that renders the original question moot. According to this thread, the EGR can be eliminated without issue to performance or everyday driving, especially if it has the recall modification done to it.

http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewt ... 8&start=15

Thanks,
Paul
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I would just delete the EGR. It would be interesting to compare the mpg before and after. Though I don't think it would make a difference since it seems the EGR system doesn't function much anyway.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Check your local smog laws. Where I live, they do roller dyno tests and the EGR has to be working.
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

You could relocate the EGR items to the scrap bin....
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Some smog tests or inspections may check to see if emissions items are present. So you could leave them on there just for looks. How would they prove they were functioning? In Summit County NE Ohio they look under the car with a mirror. No hood pop. Maybe if there's a huge blower sticking out of the hood they would call the supervisor over.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:01 am Some smog tests or inspections may check to see if emissions items are present. So you could leave them on there just for looks. How would they prove they were functioning? In Summit County NE Ohio they look under the car with a mirror. No hood pop. Maybe if there's a huge blower sticking out of the hood they would call the supervisor over.
The roller dyno test, in which the tester drives your car following a graph on a computer screen which has him accelerating, decelerating, shifting up and down through the gears, and all of that, does bring about the conditions which activate the EGR, and its lack of function will fail you.
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
pvan

Post by pvan »

No testing in Michigan, or at least where I'm at in Michigan. I could replace the drivetrain with a blown 427and scoop out of the hood and as long as the front windows weren't tinted, I'd be fine.