How did you intercool

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

How did you intercool

Post by markwemple »

I know there are several good kits but did anyone do their own set up? There is a guy on youtube who used a saab 9000 intercooler and mounted it low, just behind the lower bumper air intake.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: How did you intercool

Post by merkurdriver »

I'm going to have a super biased opinion here but I like the Merkur Depot set up best

www.merkurdepot.com

My black car in the pictures has had nearly 10 different intercoolers on it over the last 15 years...
From home brew set-ups using (used) Audi and Volvo intercoolers, to the Rapido intercooler kit specifically for the XR4Ti, all the way up to the previous set up that used a fairly Forge RS500 intercooler. Finally settled on the same set up we currently offer.

This intercooler set up has proven to flow better, have less pressure drop, and cool better than anything else that has been on my car.
(Air conditioning has to go to fit it in there FYI, so if you need A/C then scratch this one.)
LITTELHAWK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LITTELHAWK »

merkurdriver wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:51 am I'm going to have a super biased opinion here but I like the Merkur Depot set up best

www.merkurdepot.com

My black car in the pictures has had nearly 10 different intercoolers on it over the last 15 years...
From home brew set-ups using (used) Audi and Volvo intercoolers, to the Rapido intercooler kit specifically for the XR4Ti, all the way up to the previous set up that used a fairly Forge RS500 intercooler. Finally settled on the same set up we currently offer.

This intercooler set up has proven to flow better, have less pressure drop, and cool better than anything else that has been on my car.
(Air conditioning has to go to fit it in there FYI, so if you need A/C then scratch this one.)

I have this setup in mine. A/C is still in there too, for now. I just ran my intercooler to throttle body pipe in the clearance above the fan and up.
P_20180911_005733_vHDR_Auto (2).jpg
P_20180911_005733_vHDR_Auto (2).jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 7127 times
'85 Mineral Blue & '87 White Barn Find parked in '92
dunhamr1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dunhamr1 »

For Simplicity and ease of installation, I would definitely go with the Merkur Depot kit while he's still got some in stock! He's also got a piping kit to go with it, no need to muck about if you don't need/want to.

I personally am (going to be) using a Cosworth 2WD intercooler paired with a shorter radiator (I used one from a Saab 900). This requires some fabrication of a mount to hold the radiator since it doesn't have "Wings" like the correct Cosworth one would, though the intercooler bolts right in. I'm now designing/looking for piping solutions which will also involve installing a rotated upper intake (and associated wiring length increases), moving the alternator to the passenger side, and clocking the compressor on the turbo. The intercooler and radiator are mounted in the car but I haven't plumbed the intercooler to date.
-Ryan Dunham
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - nickname: "SheaXR4"
Daily: 2016 VW Golf R "Matti"
E-Street Autocross car: 2001 Mazda Miata
Old daily: 2003 VW Golf MkIV TDI, 200k+ mi

"Racing is Life. Anything else is just waiting." -Steve McQueen
Ersatz36

Post by Ersatz36 »

My car has an older version of the Merkur Depot setup on it, it has a short radiator with an IC mounted above the radiator similar to the European cars, it's packaged pretty neatly so it doesn't go anywhere near the condensor for the AC.
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

Merkur Engine Bay 3.jpg
Merkur Engine Bay 3.jpg (376.61 KiB) Viewed 8440 times
Merkur Engine Bay 2.jpg
Merkur Engine Bay 2.jpg (395.67 KiB) Viewed 8440 times
Merkur Engine Bay 1.jpg
Merkur Engine Bay 1.jpg (342.34 KiB) Viewed 8440 times
ImagePlanakis custom intercooler and radiator. I've got a small leak in the radiator now, so depending upon how easy it is to fix, I might be looking for a different setup. I do have Mike's shorty radiator which if I measured correctly, should work with the intercooler.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

Engine Full smaller.jpg
With Essie valve cover and catch can
(1.9 MiB) Not downloaded yet
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Good information here...
I am wondering, are you guys also putting the intake air temp sensor in the intake line somewhere?
I've got my intake manifold off now to clean, thinking I may also install a boss to measure intake air temp as well.
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

Preference for cross flow, return flow, or no real difference?
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

my8950 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:23 am Good information here...
I am wondering, are you guys also putting the intake air temp sensor in the intake line somewhere?
I've got my intake manifold off now to clean, thinking I may also install a boss to measure intake air temp as well.
For a standalone, always put the IAT in cold side piping cause sensor heatsoaking will cause startup issues. I'd put it in the same place even if you were just monitoring it too
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

IMO, Knowing your goals is needed for intercooler selection. What horsepower goals, what turbo, and how much PSI? Do you need to keep A/C? Do you care about throttle response? Planning on a rotated intake or larger throttle body?

There are cheap cores out there that seem like a good deal but they don't flow as well as the good stuff and cause a larger pressure drop.

A tip about intercooler piping: Try to avoid tight and sharp bends and using many reducer couplers. Hot side piping doesn't need to be any larger than the turbo outlet, and cold side piping also doesn't need to be any larger than the throttle body either.
markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwemple »

There's a guy on line that is selling a kit that locates the intercooler to the battery box. He says there is a lot of air flow there. Doesn't make logical sense to me.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Never seen an intercooler mounted in the battery box before. Anyone have a pic of fmic setup with piping in reverse? Turbo>drivers side inlet>passengers side outlet>throttle body? Preferably an npr fmic. Thanks.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Battery box has good airflow, has been measured by people who know what they are doing. Search MCAF and www.turboford.org.
www.merkurtech.com has lots and lots of pix of setups in Picture Pages. Sort by "Intercoolers."
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

My fave style would be air into the front, out the hood. Subaru WRC style. Remember it's high pressure under the car and low pressure above. Like an airplane wing. So wrx/svo type is working against this principle.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.