Best way to change the O2 sensor?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Merkurstein

Best way to change the O2 sensor?

Post by Merkurstein »

Gonna change the O2 sensor since it's the OEM and was just wondering if there is a good/more helpful way to change it? It being in the car for so long thought maybe warm up the exhaust some first, spray it down with WD40 or just good ole elbow grease.
LITTELHAWK
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Best way to change the O2 sensor?

Post by LITTELHAWK »

Probably will want PB Blaster or something stronger than WD-40 but other than that, sounds like you've got it. Try it without heat first, hopefully you won't need it.
'85 Mineral Blue & '87 White Barn Find parked in '92
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Automatic trans fluid works wonders over WD-40 or PB blaster.
Kroil is good stuff to, but I remember a article in Popular Science magazine years ago that showed auto trans fluid mixed with acetone even beat Kroil for effectiveness.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Make sure you have a wrench that fits it.
Merkurstein

Post by Merkurstein »

Thanks everyone, just a lil PB blaster and it came right out. Wow it looks terrible too.
my8950 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:37 pm Make sure you have a wrench that fits it.
👍

Guess that's what to expect after 30+ years. Now gonna replace all the much needed vacuum lines.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Hopefully you can re-install a new one. All the O2 sensors I've tried to remove I've destroyed the threads, like they were welded in from the heat. So for my truck I decided to go with the "cut out a big chunk of pipe" method. Girl at pull a part only charged me for the O2 and not the flange or pipe. Sweet. Now's the time to put in a new bung and larger downpipe since you got it all apart anyway.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.