3D Printing windsheild scuttle

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
kiwimanz
Level 1
Level 1

3D Printing windsheild scuttle

Post by kiwimanz » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:10 am

Hi has anyone looked at 3D printing the lower plastic scuttle around the windshield?
Would have to be done is sections unless it was done on a large printer.
Just selfishly checking
Cheers
Linz

my8950
Level 5
Level 5

Re: 3D Printing windsheild scuttle

Post by my8950 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:23 am

Rapido has replacement parts already available, not sure if they are 3D printed or not though.

dunhamr1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dunhamr1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:49 am

my8950 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:23 am
Rapido has replacement parts already available, not sure if they are 3D printed or not though.
I believe the ones that Rapido sells and the ones that the guy in Argentina has for sale are both Fiberglass.

IMO a 3D printed part in this location would be more prone to breaking than the original piece.
-Ryan Dunham
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - nickname: "SheaXR4"
Daily: 2016 VW Golf R
Old daily: 2003 VW Golf MkIV TDI, 200k+ mi

"Racing is Life. Anything else is just waiting." -Steve McQueen

Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:47 am

I have a set of the Rapido FG units. They are much stronger than stock and are pretty durable. There is a video of the guy banging these units pretty hard on a table and they dont break or chip. Also, he was able to get the texture of the exterior down perfect which 3D printing won't be able to capture.

Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:49 am

But i see you are asking about the large center cowl. That would be tough for both FG reps and 3D printing. -=o(

eaton53
Level 4
Level 4

Post by eaton53 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:42 am

They can 3D print big parts like that. I've ordered some prototype parts that are quite large.
They're always a number of smaller parts that fit like a puzzle and then are are glued together to make one big part.

Anyone willing to pay a couple of grand or more for a windshield scuttle? That's what we'd be talking... 3D printing is not cheap.
Mike got some unavailable little plastic sunroof parts 3D printed on the Ford Capri episode of Wheeler Dealers.
$150 for two small parts. I guessed how much before they showed what they spent on them and was pretty close.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
I'm just the latest caretaker and I'm keepin' it REAL shiny!! 8)

DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:19 pm

There was also a little blurb about the design cost. Not sure if it was free for the exposure or not.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?

milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:44 pm

eaton53 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:42 am
They can 3D print big parts like that. I've ordered some prototype parts that are quite large.
They're always a number of smaller parts that fit like a puzzle and then are are glued together to make one big part.

Anyone willing to pay a couple of grand or more for a windshield scuttle? That's what we'd be talking... 3D printing is not cheap.
Mike got some unavailable little plastic sunroof parts 3D printed on the Ford Capri episode of Wheeler Dealers.
$150 for two small parts. I guessed how much before they showed what they spent on them and was pretty close.
Still cheaper than sticking a piece of AL on a mill/turn and watching the chips fly :lol:
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now project car
1 14 black Fiesta SE aka Fiona- my new DD

DCLXVI

eaton53
Level 4
Level 4

Post by eaton53 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:53 pm

milehighXR wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:44 pm
Still cheaper than sticking a piece of AL on a mill/turn and watching the chips fly :lol:
But you'll only buy that AL piece once.

'89 XR4Ti

milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:42 pm

I haven't had to replace my center cowl, yet...

It's those damned side ones that seem to disappear.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now project car
1 14 black Fiesta SE aka Fiona- my new DD

DCLXVI

Camaro5690
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Camaro5690 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:33 pm

eaton53 wrote:

That's kinda crazy. You can buy a decent 3d printer these days for 300 bucks and print stuff yourself any time.
Adam Wilson

eaton53
Level 4
Level 4

Post by eaton53 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:38 am

Camaro5690 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:33 pm
eaton53 wrote:

That's kinda crazy. You can buy a decent 3d printer these days for 300 bucks and print stuff yourself any time.
The material is expensive and this is a large part.
We have large 3D printer where I work that cost a lot more than $300.
Even on that machine, the scuttle would have to be printed in several pieces and glued together. I've done it.
This is probably not a financially prudent or durable and esthetically pleasing soiution.

Best bet is to pay whatever is necessary to get a good used one.

'89 XR4Ti

andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:43 pm

It would be easier to make a mold of a good one and copy it that way. Me and Mike talked about trying to do this since I was making tire molds at the time and we had the anti stick spray, liquid rubber stuff, tooling plaster etc at work. The hard part was that it was concave and not flat so it would have been completely inside of solid rubber through the middle and not usable as a mold. Maybe if it was done in sections but you'd have to cut up a good one to do it.
You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. There's shrimp kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried, pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp in potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich....