Show me your Belt Routing with a Passenger Side Alternator

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
dunhamr1
Level 4
Level 4

Show me your Belt Routing with a Passenger Side Alternator

Post by dunhamr1 »

Looking to see what folks have used for belt routing when they moved to a 90 deg intake. I'm not a fan of the single wrap around all of the components with the passenger alternator, as it leaves both the water pump and the crank (arguable the most important pulleys) with LESS than a quarter wrap.

If I could get my way, I'd have a three groove crank pulley and run the Alt, WP and the crank with two belts, and run a single belt to the PS pump. This requires a custom PS pump bracket to move it fwd to use the last (and most FWD) groove on the crank pulley, which also has a different spacing to the other two.

Show me how you did it! I'm open to new ideas, but trying to avoid heavy fab work.
-Ryan Dunham
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - nickname: "SheaXR4"
Daily: 2016 VW Golf R "Matti"
E-Street Autocross car: 2001 Mazda Miata
Old daily: 2003 VW Golf MkIV TDI, 200k+ mi

"Racing is Life. Anything else is just waiting." -Steve McQueen
John Brennan
Level 8

Re: Show me your Belt Routing with a Passenger Side Alternator

Post by John Brennan »

Here's another shot of what "Sixfoot7" Hugh Lacy did to Have It All with an '89-- no relocations necessary. He did it by extending the alternator adjusting slot downwards, and using shorter belts:
1508670018_large.jpg
1508670018_large.jpg (36.23 KiB) Viewed 7877 times
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
dunhamr1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dunhamr1 »

Huh, I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the info!
-Ryan Dunham

cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta »

I converted to a single serpentine with tensioner/ps bracket and pullies from a fox mustang. The mustang tensioner is garbage; you use the bolt holding the tensioner as your release lever point, push too hard trying to relieve tension and it'll strip the threads. Had to use washers to space the alternator properly. Occasionally I get a bit of startup chirp in the cold. I also have an adjustable turnbuckle on alternator for fine tuning tension.

*thinking out loud* With the shorter rotated intake, I guess I could reinstall the alternator in the stock location, push it as far down as i can, and install a spacer between the upper and lower intake to clear the alternator....

Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

cmouta wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:43 pm I converted to a single serpentine with tensioner/ps bracket and pullies from a fox mustang. The mustang tensioner is garbage; you use the bolt holding the tensioner as your release lever point, push too hard trying to relieve tension and it'll strip the threads. Had to use washers to space the alternator properly. Occasionally I get a bit of startup chirp in the cold. I also have an adjustable turnbuckle on alternator for fine tuning tension.

*thinking out loud* With the shorter rotated intake, I guess I could reinstall the alternator in the stock location, push it as far down as i can, and install a spacer between the upper and lower intake to clear the alternator....

I can't fully grasp how you did this, but this also seems to be the best option to me since it's one belt. Many people want to convert but end up having 2 or 3 belts, doesn't seem worth it. If I could convert to this type of setup I would.
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta »

It's similar to the ranger setup from this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12217

but I sourced a single serp belt crank pulley and used the AC bracket to hold my 3g alternator. I actually have a single belt water pump pulley to throw on as well but I'm lazy. I've been playing with the idea of making the XR more livable which means putting AC BACK in(good thing I threw everything out already :roll: )

now that I think about it, I will add that when I tried mounting my 3g alternator in the stock location, it the belt seemed to hit the pivot bolt head on the mustang PS bracket. I never figured out why it didn't work like the turbocoupe one:

Chris
dunhamr1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dunhamr1 »

cmouta wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:43 pm I converted to a single serpentine with tensioner/ps bracket and pullies from a fox mustang. The mustang tensioner is garbage; you use the bolt holding the tensioner as your release lever point, push too hard trying to relieve tension and it'll strip the threads. Had to use washers to space the alternator properly. Occasionally I get a bit of startup chirp in the cold. I also have an adjustable turnbuckle on alternator for fine tuning tension.

There's still VERY little wrap on both the WP and the crank pullies in this setup, and is not something I'd be interested in. Thank you for sharing, as it helps the mind think about options. I'd want the second tensioner like the post below yours (from a ranger) to run the serp setup.
-Ryan Dunham

merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Has anyone seen this done with the stock throttlebody still in use?
John Brennan wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:04 pm Here's another shot of what "Sixfoot7" Hugh Lacy did to Have It All with an '89-- no relocations necessary. He did it by extending the alternator adjusting slot downwards, and using shorter belts:
1508670018_large.jpg
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta »

Here's another 90deg over the alternator with a nonstock throttlebody(I wonder what distributor access is like):
Chris
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

cmouta wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:21 pm Here's another 90deg over the alternator with a nonstock throttlebody(I wonder what distributor access is like):
Yeah, with an early jug setup on the hot side, I would go with a 120* rotated intake, but perhaps this was "on hand."
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost