Cougar wheels on XR4Ti?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Cougar wheels on XR4Ti?

Post by zxr250cc »

I have found some five spoke 2002 Cougar wheels that are 15x6 size with 45mm offset and wonder if anyone has used them?

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Cougar wheels on XR4Ti?

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I don't know for sure...but I'd guess it would be like running focus wheels. Where only the rears fit and the fronts rub.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
Power Tryp

Post by Power Tryp »

You should be ok, maybe a 5mm spacer on the front. Also if you're going from stock wheels to the Cougar wheels you'll likely need longer wheel studs and new lug nuts as the Cougar used regular 60 degree seat lug nuts.

Stock wheel is 15x5.5 and 41mm offset.
Ford Parts Geek.

87 XR4TI
80 924 Turbo
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I was not thinking of the studs or bolts and will certainly look at that. As for offset, if the 5.5" rim is 41mm offset and a 6" rim is 45mm offset the 6" rim would be almost but not quite, at the same point in horizontal space in relation to the struts and calipers, I think. 6mm is sloppy 1/4" and the result of adding 1/2" in width is adding 1/4" to each side of the center line of the wheel or lug nut mounting point, in effect. I looked at the Cougar wheel studs and the thread pattern is the same as the Merk, it seems. (12 x 1.50) Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I have Ford Mondeo Wheels on my car, also a fwd car like the cougar/focus, and I have wheel spacers. Also there's longer wheel studs on there and open style lug nuts. Why are you so set on running cougar wheels? Do you already have a set? If you do test fit one on the front. Otherwise you could get a rim from a place like pull a part, then take it back for store credit. The credit stays on your account. I'm sure you could find 4 good ones after not too long. Also if you tell them you have a cougar they can put you in the computer and email you when a new one comes in. Another thing to consider is if you want to put cheapo wheel spacers from the autoparts store on your car. I'm not sure if you can buy hub centric wheel spacers anymore or not. Maybe someone here can shoot you in the right direction.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I saw a 2002 Cougar with wheels on it in a junkyard and was thinking they looked nice. They are cheap but the 15" 5 spoke design was what attracted me. I did not like the BBS style 15" OEM design (too hard to clean) and my car has the phone dial style 14" wheels at this time. It is not so easy to have a good selection of tires in 14". Maybe I will wait and do 16" or 17" wheels later on.

Cheers
R Code
Level 1
Level 1

Post by R Code »

Back in the 80's, we used the 4 lug 15" wheels from fox body Mustangs/TBirds/Cougars combined w/50 series rubber to replace the phone dial 14"ers that came stock. I liked the plain-ish ones with the holes: very subtle but so much nicer than the stock wheels.
::searches for them:: Wow, those are expensive now.
- Chris

'89 XR4Ti (5 speed) - sold