Rit dye for carpet

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Jayrod82

Rit dye for carpet

Post by Jayrod82 »

Has anyone ever use Rit dye on your carpet and/or floor mats? if so for the grey did you use Charcoal or Pearl Grey? my car is a 86 with Grey interior color.
R Code
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Rit dye for carpet

Post by R Code »

Watching this one, as I have to dye my used package tray & NOS floor mats (both gray) Raven. Open to trading for Raven pieces, if they exist.

My original package tray has been modified for 6x9 speakers. :puke
- Chris

'89 XR4Ti (5 speed) - sold
Rocky's Wrench
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rocky's Wrench »

R Code wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:55 am My original package tray has been modified for 6x9 speakers. :puke
Rockettes first XR had the same problem, the added weight of the speakers would overcome the gas struts that held
the hatch open. I changed the struts, but the hatch hitting you in the head problem wasn't solved... :roll:
SteveL
Orphan Addict...
morlynon

Post by morlynon »

Tried it before. It will make the carpet look a bit nicer but not as good as new. It will make the carpet stiff also.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

For RIT dye to work well the item (whatever) should be bathed and agitated in as hot water as is available. (Read RIT's instructions.) That effectively eliminates using it on carpeting and expecting good and lasting results.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

Rocky's Wrench wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:33 pm
R Code wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:55 am My original package tray has been modified for 6x9 speakers. :puke
Rockettes first XR had the same problem, the added weight of the speakers would overcome the gas struts that held
the hatch open. I changed the struts, but the hatch hitting you in the head problem wasn't solved... :roll:
These practically shoot the hatch open. I can't imagine your speakers would make them drop. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2 ... UTF8&psc=1
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

As the OP mentioned, I'm also curious about using dye for grey...
Usually I think people dye darker, i.e. black, but what about doing grey?
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

DAReese wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:12 pm These practically shoot the hatch open. I can't imagine your speakers would make them drop. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2 ... UTF8&psc=1
Thank you, sir! Just ordered a set. $26, and free shipping! Woot! :cheers
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

John Brennan wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:29 pm
DAReese wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:12 pm These practically shoot the hatch open. I can't imagine your speakers would make them drop. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2 ... UTF8&psc=1
Thank you, sir! Just ordered a set. $26, and free shipping! Woot! :cheers
Quite a bit stronger than OEM when the car was new.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

DAReese wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:12 pm
These practically shoot the hatch open. I can't imagine your speakers would make them drop. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2 ... UTF8&psc=1
I 2nd these struts, OMFG. This is the first time in 15 yrs that hatch hasn't tried to decapitate me :headbang Even with one new one, and one old one(which was new from Napa 10 years ago) and the hatch shoots up like a rocket.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

milehighXR wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:22 pm
DAReese wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:12 pm

I 2nd these struts, OMFG. This is the first time in 15 yrs that hatch hasn't tried to decapitate me :headbang Even with one new one, and one old one(which was new from Napa 10 years ago) and the hatch shoots up like a rocket.
Not sure but IIRC I bought those on someone here's recommendation and installed on a Scorpio found after a few weeks one upper end worked it's way off the upper mount. Removed, reinstalled, same issue. Seemed like those struts may be too strong and try to find any way to be released.

YMMV
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

On the rear lift issue there is a maker named Stabilus who have various lift struts and some of them have same dimensions but different levels of pressure. The chart for them shows strut length and then pressure levels and it might be possible to get XR equivalent lifts from that maker. Having one that is greatly over pressure may make a new problem where the strut breaks the small ball mount for it. I am lucky with mine as they still work from new but have used these for a Focus hatch in the past with good results.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I tried using aniline based dye (Behr) on my Scorpio rear deck lid. This was a powder that you mixed with alcohol.
I then foam brushed it into the carpet. You have to wear gloves of course. I think aniline is toxic.

It looked great initially. But after a year the sun has faded it back to what it looked like originally.

So I am interested to see how your RIT dye works out for you. Perhaps this can help..
http://www.southbayskindoctor.com/Produ ... atment.htm

I think maybe the best bet it to purchase the commercial spray dye that is available. I suspect it has built in UV resistance.

Good read here...
http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/lightfastness.shtml
Specialization is for Insects
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I have experience using RIT dye on denim fabrics. RIT label instructions point out results are better when the item to be dyed is immersed and agitated in hot water. I seldom got the water with RIT dye as hot as suggested and the resulting fabric looked okay but wasn't permanent.

YMMV
rjfas

Post by rjfas »

I just dyed the whole interior of my XR which was previously grey. I used the products from a company Classic Dye products who make dyes specifically for automotive use. They make dyes for leather,vinyl and plastic as well as dyes for carpet. I used kalahari for the seats (a saddle color found on late model corvettes) and black for the dash and carpets (Lexus color). The dyes are water based and I sprayed them according to the instructions. All the parts came out quite well but I have no long term wear experience yet. I will post some pictures when I have the interior reinstalled.
Their website is www.classicdyeproducts.com
Bob Fasano
Mt Dora Fl