No cluster lights...

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Stussy

No cluster lights...

Post by Stussy »

So, The cluster lights will not come on at all, the brights indicator, turn signal, and battery lights come on and battery light stays on very faintly with headlights on. Dimmer is good and Everything else works and I cannot get these lights to do anything. I’ve even plugged in a spare cluster and have no difference. Any ideas on where to start?
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: No cluster lights...

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Your issue is slightly different than one I encountered on an XR I acquired, but the issue was a faulty clock lamp bulb (!). I found it after checking everything else by deciding to test resistance of each interior bulb starting with the instrument panel and clock bulbs. Worth a try.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Check the connector on the harness side and make sure that it's not roached. Also make sure that the cluster you're plugging in has clean contacts.
I'd say when its out, also check the bulbs as mentioned above. The bulbs mount in some weird plastic things that connect to the board, there are a few options for loose connections. Coincidental that none work though, but not out of the question.
Stussy

Post by Stussy »

Both clock bulbs work, one of my interior lights is out and the cigarette lighter lights do not work but I wouldn’t believe they would cause them to not work
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

I would also suggest to check the fuse, sounds like you have a lot out on one branch.
While the fuse may be good, the terminals that hold it may be blown out or funky, so check all the fuses under hood for cleanliness and blownoutness...
Stussy

Post by Stussy »

All the fuses look alright but I’m gonna pull that box this weekend and check all the terminals. The cars whole stereo and speakers have been removed before I got it and I’m curious if anything is tied into the cluster or they cut a wrong wire. Prolly gonna pull the dash apart and investigate that as well
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Fuses may look good, and check good by a meter, but the female terminals they slide into get all blown out and sometimes don't have a good kung fu grip on the fuse. Check the tension of the terminals. But yeah, if its an aftermarket head unit, may just have a ground from the stereo through the power wire or something...