Is there a quick fix for the Lower Radiator Hose?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Post Reply
oemoilleaks
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:35 pm

Is there a quick fix for the Lower Radiator Hose?

Post by oemoilleaks » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:02 pm

I'm finally getting around to tackling some major maintenance for my 1985 XR this weekend.

1: timing belt + alternator belts
2: water pump
3: radiator hoses
4: intercooler mounts (to replace my zip-ties)

But it just dawned on me that I don't have, and can't find, a lower radiator hose. Is there any "parts store" solution anyone has found while I wait for a proper lower hose to come in the mail?

Are there any tips/tricks people have when doing the timing belt or getting the water pump to seat & seal?

Thank you!
-J
Last edited by oemoilleaks on Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oemoilleaks
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: Lower Radiator Hose (and other cooling system tips)

Post by oemoilleaks » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:03 pm

And before I get flamed... I searched the forum, the FB group, and the googles and didn't find anything that seemed to make sense.

Just a lot of "you won't find a hose for an '89"

cmouta
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:25 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Is there a quick fix for the Lower Radiator Hose?

Post by cmouta » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:53 pm

The quickest fix would be some sort of universal hose with matching ID's if they stock it:

Image
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!

zxr250cc
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 11:07 am

Re: Is there a quick fix for the Lower Radiator Hose?

Post by zxr250cc » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:40 pm

Gates 25255 hose, 20" x 1.25" flex hose....

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic

User avatar
merkurdriver
Level 8
Posts: 5942
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:29 pm
Location: Northeast Ohio
Contact:

Re: Is there a quick fix for the Lower Radiator Hose?

Post by merkurdriver » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:03 am

oemoilleaks wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:02 pm
I'm finally getting around to tackling some major maintenance for my 1985 XR this weekend.
Here's a new 1985-1988 lower radiator hose:

http://merkur.50megs.com/catalog_2.html

Also available in red:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Merkur-XR4 ... 2521197848

Image

I can get one to you priority mail in 2-3 days. Much easier than trying to fit a one-size-fits-all hose on.

User avatar
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: Is there a quick fix for the Lower Radiator Hose?

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:34 am

That's not a bad deal for that hose. I had to get the universal stainless flex one from summit racing and it was more than 40 bucks. You could try to cut up two different hoses and connect them, but they have to step up a size somehow. Some people have used stuff from the plumbing section of the hardware store. I didn't want to "rig up" something like this and didn't like the idea of chrome coating flaking off and traveling around in the coolant.
You're only as good as the last car you build.

User avatar
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: Is there a quick fix for the Lower Radiator Hose?

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:37 am

Also thought I'd mention the "universal" upper hose from autozone dosn't work perfectly. It will have a kink in it, but is ok as an emergency backup. Advanced auto was able to order the 85-88 style upper for me. It's cool somebody is making some hoses for our cars.
You're only as good as the last car you build.

oemoilleaks
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: Is there a quick fix for the Lower Radiator Hose?

Post by oemoilleaks » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:27 pm

merkurdriver wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:03 am
oemoilleaks wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:02 pm
I'm finally getting around to tackling some major maintenance for my 1985 XR this weekend.
Here's a new 1985-1988 lower radiator hose:

http://merkur.50megs.com/catalog_2.html

Also available in red:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Merkur-XR4 ... 2521197848

Image

I can get one to you priority mail in 2-3 days. Much easier than trying to fit a one-size-fits-all hose on.
I had already ordered one from you!.. I was just being impatient since I had to do all that stuff this weekend. I ended up using the old hose.. It seemed fine. But i'll install that beautiful silicone hose when it comes in!

User avatar
John Brennan
Level 8
Posts: 11522
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:19 pm
Location: Scottsdale, AZ "Summer Is Coming"

Re: Is there a quick fix for the Lower Radiator Hose?

Post by John Brennan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:49 pm

oemoilleaks wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:27 pm
merkurdriver wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:03 am
oemoilleaks wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:02 pm
I'm finally getting around to tackling some major maintenance for my 1985 XR this weekend.
Here's a new 1985-1988 lower radiator hose:

http://merkur.50megs.com/catalog_2.html

Also available in red:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Merkur-XR4 ... 2521197848

Image

I can get one to you priority mail in 2-3 days. Much easier than trying to fit a one-size-fits-all hose on.
I had already ordered one from you!.. I was just being impatient since I had to do all that stuff this weekend. I ended up using the old hose.. It seemed fine. But i'll install that beautiful silicone hose when it comes in!
That hose is a super nice piece! If I used one like that, I would be sure to order one while they're available... I would even convert to an Early, new-style rad, if I needed to replace mine, just to look under the hood and see that!
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles

oemoilleaks
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: Is there a quick fix for the Lower Radiator Hose?

Post by oemoilleaks » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:09 am

John Brennan wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:49 pm
oemoilleaks wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:27 pm
merkurdriver wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:03 am


Here's a new 1985-1988 lower radiator hose:

http://merkur.50megs.com/catalog_2.html

Also available in red:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Merkur-XR4 ... 2521197848

Image

I can get one to you priority mail in 2-3 days. Much easier than trying to fit a one-size-fits-all hose on.
I had already ordered one from you!.. I was just being impatient since I had to do all that stuff this weekend. I ended up using the old hose.. It seemed fine. But i'll install that beautiful silicone hose when it comes in!
That hose is a super nice piece! If I used one like that, I would be sure to order one while they're available... I would even convert to an Early, new-style rad, if I needed to replace mine, just to look under the hood and see that!
yup. as I said, I already ordered it. It just arrived. it looks better in black. can't wait to put it in!
Question though, should I transfer the internal spring over? to retain the rigidity in the bends?

User avatar
merkurdriver
Level 8
Posts: 5942
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:29 pm
Location: Northeast Ohio
Contact:

Re: Is there a quick fix for the Lower Radiator Hose?

Post by merkurdriver » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:24 am

I've never transferred that crusty internal spring over. Those corrode and deteriorate...and send little pieces of metal through the cooling system.
16psi cooling system isn't enough to collapse a stock hose in good condition with no other cooling system issues.

However, if yours in in good shape and you want to transfer it, thats fine too.

User avatar
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: Is there a quick fix for the Lower Radiator Hose?

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:41 am

And I can't imagine silicone getting all soft and spongy (needing the coil) like rubber hoses.
You're only as good as the last car you build.

oemoilleaks
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: Is there a quick fix for the Lower Radiator Hose?

Post by oemoilleaks » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:40 pm

merkurdriver wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:24 am
I've never transferred that crusty internal spring over. Those corrode and deteriorate...and send little pieces of metal through the cooling system.
16psi cooling system isn't enough to collapse a stock hose in good condition with no other cooling system issues.

However, if yours in in good shape and you want to transfer it, thats fine too.
Seems better not to transfer it.

Post Reply