Saginaw Power Steering Pump Conversion

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
jkxr4ti
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Saginaw Power Steering Pump Conversion

Post by jkxr4ti » Mon May 27, 2019 11:14 am

So the Astro pump is key here because it uses a straight snout vs the majority of the Saginaw pumps that have the tapered version. Were there other Saginaw pumps with a attached reservoir and a straight snout?
That and the horseshoe adapter bracket really make this a bolt on affair aside for the clearance of the bracket.
Great work Brad.
Merkur....Its German for Mutt....Mustang, Saab, Volvo, Lincoln, Contour, Cummins... and the list goes on.

Jeremy Kemp

1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Mon May 27, 2019 11:43 am

jkxr4ti wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:14 am
So the Astro pump is key here because it uses a straight snout vs the majority of the Saginaw pumps that have the tapered version. Were there other Saginaw pumps with a attached reservoir and a straight snout?
That and the horseshoe adapter bracket really make this a bolt on affair aside for the clearance of the bracket.
Great work Brad.
Actually, from what I've observed, most all of the Saginaws use a straight shaft, not tapered. That's certainly the case with the one I now have on my F-150, which does indeed have an attached "canned ham" reservoir. That was a much easier swap though, as the Saginaw pump is used on the Ford E-series vans, so I was able to just grab everything (pump, bracket, hose) from the donor van.

I think there are clearance issues trying to use the horseshoe adapter bracket with anything other than the remote reservoir pump. I didn't investigate it much - it's just what I was told. I considered trying to make my own adapter bracket from an Astro bracket, but I quickly realized that would be a futile project. I have a spare Astro pump at this point - if you want it for $20 I'll bring it along with me to Carlisle.
Brad

my8950
Level 5
Level 5

Post by my8950 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:01 am

John Brennan wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:21 am
I admire all the work you've done on this, Brad, especially the exquisite documentation. I wish I had that kind of spare time.
Agreed, documentation here and then a final parts list...

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Tue May 28, 2019 2:07 pm

I've put about 40 miles on the car, which I'm calling "good enough" for the upcoming 500-mile test. The pump is all but silent, even under low-speed turning maneuvers. I'm happy with the final results.
Brad

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:01 am

The pump passed it's 500-mile test last week with flying colors. I was a little apprehensive about using a 3/8" barbed fitting to "create" a hybrid hi-pressure hose, but it has not leaked at all - bone dry on either side of the fitting. Maybe some day I'll have a hydraulic hose shop make up a hose, but for now all is well.
Brad

Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:43 pm

1,000 mile circuit next: Tuxedo to Saginaw to Detroit and return home.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!