Fuel Pressure Damper Delete

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Fuel Pressure Damper Delete

Post by Matt01 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:10 pm

Hi guys,
quick question, has anyone deleted or replaced with aftermarket the little round thing found on the rubber fuel line? I want to replace the lines with stainless, but don't want to use the OEM damper because it would require more fittings and more potential for leaks.

Thanks guys!

merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: Fuel Pressure Damper Delete

Post by merkurdriver » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:32 am

I've seen it deleted many, many times on the 2.3T. Have a look in it when you remove it, the tube goes straight through.
The dampers purpose is to absorb the pulsing of fuel into the fuel rail from the fuel pump...that way you will have an even pressure instead of a pulsing pressure.
Newer cars and aftermarket fuel pressure regulators have dampening capabilities sort of "built-in", thats why you don't see many separate dampeners these days.

Some will say you absolutely should keep it, others will tell you to toss it without thinking twice.

thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:31 pm

I think the FPD is there for and because of the injectors... The injectors opening and closing can set up an oscillating pressure in the rail which leads to unstable pressure and potentially damage to the injectors... That's why it's located right by the rail, that's the area it's designed to work for. FPDs often come into play with really big injectors because those oscillations can become really dramatic.

worked_xr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by worked_xr » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:03 pm

I deleted it on both my XRs. Lots of folks do (should!). I daily drove my white '89 for 5 years with it removed with no issues.. In fact, I couldn't figure out why my black '89 wouldn't start and stay idling, even after going through EVERYTHING else in the system. Deleted the damper and it ran and idled perfectly. Just unplug the hose that goes into the damper, removed the damper, and reattach the hose to where the damper was attached to the rail. Done.

my8950
Level 6
Level 6

Post by my8950 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:45 pm

thesameguy wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:31 pm
I think the FPD is there for and because of the injectors... The injectors opening and closing can set up an oscillating pressure in the rail which leads to unstable pressure and potentially damage to the injectors... That's why it's located right by the rail, that's the area it's designed to work for. FPDs often come into play with really big injectors because those oscillations can become really dramatic.
Yep, Fuel hammering...

Anyhow, for what it's worth try it by removing it. If you experience issues stick it back on, if you can find it again...