Seats, right to left swap

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Seats, right to left swap

Post by merk23literturbo »

I took a good right Scorpio seat and converted it to drivers seat to replace a worn out one. It took five hours including aftermarket seat heaters. It was not easy but if you know how to do seats it is possible. Lots of things to change, everything is completely apart by the time you’re done. I love the full power Scorpio seats in my XR, especially on long rides.
German engineer: We custom fit every part in the Porsche engine.
Japanese engineer: You mean that you make every part wrong to begin with?
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Seats, right to left swap

Post by Bob Weir »

I've swapped Scorpio passenger to driver side in a hour or so. I just had to pay attention to cutting new hole for seat switch.

What took so long to swap Scorpio into xr? Tracks, heated seat and/or seat & backrest electric adjustment?
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

merk23literturbo wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:00 pm I love the full power Scorpio seats in my XR, especially on long rides.
Scorpio front seats in an XR are fantastic.
(Only downside is they don't fold forward for rear passengers to get in.)
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

They will if you power them (using Scorpio seat harness).

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:20 am They will if you power them (using Scorpio seat harness).
My Scorpio seats are powered in the XR and they have more of a "lean forward" function vs. "fold forward" function of the stock XR seats.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

merkurdriver wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:15 am
Ed Lijewski wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:20 am They will if you power them (using Scorpio seat harness).
My Scorpio seats are powered in the XR and they have more of a "lean forward" function vs. "fold forward" function of the stock XR seats.
...and they won't go as far forward as they should, and then you have to re-adjust them to your preferred position, as there is no inherent 'memory' as to where the seat was. Not designed for rear seat ingress, so a compromise, unless you rarely/never have anyone using them, esp. full-sized adults.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Ever had four full-size humans in an XR? Changes the ride and handling and acceleration and braking dramatically. Too dramatically to ever repeat voluntarily. Takes all the fun out of driving an XR.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Of course. And I want them to be comfortable (because I like people, and driving them places sometimes), and to be able to get in and out as easily as possible, for which Ford did their part with that generous back seat and those marvelous, sliding seat belt rails.

'Ya know, if 'ya do a few simple mods and free up some ponies, firm up the marshmallow suspension, and upgrade the brakes, 'ya don't notice the extra weight nearly as much. :wink:
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by merk23literturbo »

Quote: “What took so long to swap Scorpio into xr? Tracks, heated seat and/or seat & backrest electric adjustment?”

All the above, plus 90% of the hog rings had to come out to install the aftermarket adjustable seat heaters correctly. Some very strange differences from left to right seat track. But oh so comfy on those long rides.
German engineer: We custom fit every part in the Porsche engine.
Japanese engineer: You mean that you make every part wrong to begin with?