Sierra Camber plates or others on a xr4ti?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
rab
Level 2
Level 2

Sierra Camber plates or others on a xr4ti?

Post by rab »

Anyone running these?
I assume they would work, if you cut the top ring off the shock towers?
https://www.compbrake.com/product/ford- ... uaranteed/

Or does anyone have a idea of a nother car model that would be a good fit without to much hacking and rewelding?
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Sierra Camber plates or others on a xr4ti?

Post by timxr8 »

Our car is a Sierra, so those will work. Almost every company in England that makes cossie stuff makes some version of those. Look into Burton Power, MK Motorsports (extremely slow though, unless they are in stock already), and some others.
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.
rab
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rab »

I email them and they said 2 to 3 days to get to the u.s.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Another way to adjust camber is to horizontally slot the holes for the inner TCA mounting points. This was done by a previous owner on my '89; what they did is spot weld the big washers they used to the crossmember at the new location, so they could re-adjust camber after installing some Intrax lowering springs. It has presented no issues, and the tires wear evenly (FWIW, I wouldn't have lowered the car; but it's not too extreme, so I haven't messed with it).

Of course, the plates allow for fine-tuning and caster adjustment as well, but this is presented as an option.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I like the welded washer idea. I don't think I would like the adjustable plates because I would be worried they would loosen up and move on me. I once had that big King nut on top of a strut strip off on me. I think a shop installed new front struts on the taurus and reused the old nut. Also NE Ohio roads didn't help much.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
rab
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rab »

Slotting the cross member holes would be cheaper but having to adjust/pull them in might be problematic and a pain to be adjusting if your messing with your suspension setup frequently. I think having the adjustability on the top will be easier in the long.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

rab wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:54 pm Slotting the cross member holes would be cheaper but having to adjust/pull them in might be problematic and a pain to be adjusting if your messing with your suspension setup frequently. I think having the adjustability on the top will be easier in the long.
Adjustability is definitely not this method's point or strong suit-- more like establishing a new baseline. That said, it can still be done.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost