Manual trans into auto xr

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
john keefe
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Manual trans into auto xr

Post by john keefe » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:31 am

Haven't done it myself, but I've watched guys weld up custom exhausts and making headers fit, with the car on a rack. For a problem connection like yours, they'd cut the problem end (down pipe) so it's easier to get into position (doesn't get pushed out of position by body or other piece), peen the flange so its evenly round, then mount/bolt it so it's solid and flush. Test fit the next piece, cut it so it's roughly even with the open end of the 1st piece, and then tack the 2nd piece on in a couple places. Take that whole thing down, and mark the 2nd piece to cut it so it's even/flush with the open end of the first.

If it's a significant change of direction without a mandrel-bent elbow, they'll use very narrow tape all around the tacked seam, Sharpie along both edges of the tape, and cut the both pieces along their lines for an exact fit. Then, fit them together, tack weld in a few spots, reinstall, and if they call it good, take it back out and weld the entire seam. Reinstall, then on to the next piece. The guy who did my exhaust for the 5.0 tacked each section well, but didn't finish weld anything until he had one side almost completely assembled, took it all down, and then welded it all up. He wanted to make sure nothing leaked, and thought it was a better overall fit doing it that way.

Most muffler shops just tack weld, then MIG all around the seam in place on the car. More like, "close enough for government work." Or, at least they try to get a weld all the way around, which is almost impossible when you can't get the gun pointed at the seam because the underbody or some suspension piece is in the way. And you wonder why you hear exhaust leaks, or it rusts prematurely, or it looks like crap when you crawl under the car to do some other work.

milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:29 pm

John,

Pretty much as you described above is what I did. I have a really nice Miller portable mig, even runs on 120, which is good cuz I don't have 230 in this garage yet. I cut the DP to turbo adapter at about 5° angle. Installed one side to the turbo with a "gasket" between. Then attached the other end to my "DP"(3" id flex tube) and got everything looking about right. Marked it with a sharpie, tacked it, bolted everything together to check fit. Took it apart welded it(I don't have a spin fixture, so it was about 45-90° at a time then rotate part and repeat). Put it all together checked for leaks, had one at a weld, so apart it came, and more weld. Back together and it all seals now. It's not pretty, but it's good enough for the girls I go out with.

At some point in time I need to get a 3" od flex tube, as this one still rubs on the sway bar, and the bell housing a little. But for now it's fine, as the exhaust is sealed and I even got the engine hot enough to get the fans to kick on while in the garage. Tomorrow it's air up the tires, back on the ground and take a sunday drive :lol:
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now project car
1 14 black Fiesta SE aka Fiona- my new DD

DCLXVI

milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:14 pm

Got her out on the road for a short drive this morning. Found some new issues, not with trans swap, so i gotta look at those. Washed the 3yrs of dust off her, and did oil/filter change while oil was still hot. I may do one more oil change before smog, there may have been some water in there due to sitting for so long.

I'll try to get my photos and swap details together in one final series of posts. But I'm calling this swap done, and moving onto the other issues.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now project car
1 14 black Fiesta SE aka Fiona- my new DD

DCLXVI

john keefe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by john keefe » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:35 pm

:thumb :thumb Not the easiest of ways to do it, but you know its right.

Not a very good welder myself, but that's what angle grinders are for. :) Got a 220V Lincoln, but in hindsight I should have just gone 110/120V. Haven't welded up anything thick enough to justify the added power, and even with a cart, I'm stuck with lack of portability. Would be great to be able to move it around to other areas of the property, or take it do jobsites. If I ever have time I'm going to have to extend 220V conduit all around the garage so I'm not towing a bulky extension cord all over the place.
It's not pretty, but it's good enough for the girls I go out with.
Ha! Great line... which one must use cautiously, or at least where there's no chance it will get back to my better half (who is definitely much prettier than me). :)