Frankenstein

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
chilsam

Frankenstein

Post by chilsam »

I have a 93 LX mustang with a 84 super coupe or GT 350 2.3 and WC T5 "no I.C" with 35# injectors and the big turbo Coupe VAM,I have a XR stand alone harness for it...my ? is what all to I need from the XR and what mods if any are needed to allow this to work ? I'm planning on using a LA3 for the brains...THANX in advance for any help... :withstupid
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Frankenstein

Post by MarkM »

If you're going to use factory parts and no tuning mechanism, you need to make sure that the parts all match each other. Specifically, the injector size, the air meter and the EEC. The LA3 requires 35 lb injectors and the "Large" VAM. So from that standpoint, you're fine. The LA3 fuel and timing tables were built with the expectation of an intercooler in the system. I'd strongly suggest you find a way to plumb one in. I have read of people running L-series EECs without an intercooler and not blowing up (right away), but you're giving up performance and safety margin by leaving it out.

Also, you'lll need to move a few pins in the XR wiring harness and I think add a few wires to make it correct for the LA3. See http://rothfam.com/svo/reference/PEtoLA.pdf for example.
Mark
chilsam

Post by chilsam »

MarkM wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:51 pm If you're going to use factory parts and no tuning mechanism, you need to make sure that the parts all match each other. Specifically, the injector size, the air meter and the EEC. The LA3 requires 35 lb injectors and the "Large" VAM. So from that standpoint, you're fine. The LA3 fuel and timing tables were built with the expectation of an intercooler in the system. I'd strongly suggest you find a way to plumb one in. I have read of people running L-series EECs without an intercooler and not blowing up (right away), but you're giving up performance and safety margin by leaving it out.

Also, you'lll need to move a few pins in the XR wiring harness and I think add a few wires to make it correct for the LA3. See http://rothfam.com/svo/reference/PEtoLA.pdf for example.
...I actually have that pin sheet n with my mustang and XR4TI wiring and vacuum trouble shooting manuals....thanx for the info on the intercooler being mandatory,I am planning on installing a volvo intercooler b4 it hits the road.I just want to get it wired n fired first.I THINK the only other module in the S.A harness is the ECM warning system"16 channels ?"would u know what that is and what it does ?Is it required for engine to run ?...THANX for your help!
chilsam

Post by chilsam »

MarkM wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:51 pm If you're going to use factory parts and no tuning mechanism, you need to make sure that the parts all match each other. Specifically, the injector size, the air meter and the EEC. The LA3 requires 35 lb injectors and the "Large" VAM. So from that standpoint, you're fine. The LA3 fuel and timing tables were built with the expectation of an intercooler in the system. I'd strongly suggest you find a way to plumb one in. I have read of people running L-series EECs without an intercooler and not blowing up (right away), but you're giving up performance and safety margin by leaving it out.

I see in the info sheet attached to the link you provided it mentions a "INTEGRATED RELAY CONTROL" there is no harness connector for this on my harness ???...Should look like a small ecu ??
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I've been running an 8UA ECU with large VAM and no IC but with an ACT plumbed in and connected to the ECU. Like it a lot.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MarkM »

Don't worry about the Integrated Relay Controller Module (IRCM). That's an 87-88 Turbo Coupe-specific part. XR's don't have them and neither do Mustangs. I'm not familiar with the ECM warning system you reference.
Mark
chilsam

Post by chilsam »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:33 pm I've been running an 8UA ECU with large VAM and no IC but with an ACT plumbed in and connected to the ECU. Like it a lot.

YMMV
SWEET ! did u splice in ACT & connector from donor car or fab your own pigtail ?...where did you install it in the ziptube..don't know if thats the right term ?
chilsam

Post by chilsam »

MarkM wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:37 pm Don't worry about the Integrated Relay Controller Module (IRCM). That's an 87-88 Turbo Coupe-specific part. XR's don't have them and neither do Mustangs. I'm not familiar with the ECM warning system you reference.
WHEW !..THANX!