Trouble finding new radiator

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
NUTSOFODEN

Trouble finding new radiator

Post by NUTSOFODEN » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:18 pm

I have a 1989 XR4Ti that recently cracked its radiator and I've been on searching for a new one. Every place I check doesn't seem to have anything that fits the '89 XR4Ti.
Does anyone know where I'd be able to find a New radiator that fits the '89, or if generic parts meant for a Mustang or something would fit.

Thank you

merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: Trouble finding new radiator

Post by merkurdriver » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:59 am

If all else fails Its very easy to convert to the more common 85-88 style. Just get the 85-88 radiator hoses to match and the coolant tank that fits the passenger side.

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:26 am

merkurdriver wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:59 am
If all else fails Its very easy to convert to the more common 85-88 style. Just get the 85-88 radiator hoses to match and the coolant tank that fits the passenger side.
I have run an Early rad with the coolant tank on the cool side, which is a better location, IMHO. Run the Early rad hoses, T into the lower for fill from your jug, and unto the upper for your vent. In fact, I would say that's the best of both worlds.
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles

NUTSOFODEN

Post by NUTSOFODEN » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:43 am

John Brennan wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:26 am
merkurdriver wrote:
I have run an Early rad with the coolant tank on the cool side, which is a better location, IMHO. Run the Early rad hoses, T into the lower for fill from your jug, and unto the upper for your vent. In fact, I would say that's the best of both worlds.
Is the location of the Jug the only difference for the '89? So all I'd need to do is get a radiator for any other 2.3L and change the location of the jug and swap some hoses? That's less work then I thought it would be.

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:00 pm

NUTSOFODEN wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:43 am
John Brennan wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:26 am
merkurdriver wrote:
Is the location of the Jug the only difference for the '89? So all I'd need to do is get a radiator for any other 2.3L and change the location of the jug and swap some hoses? That's less work then I thought it would be.
No, there are other differences, such as the lack of a valve cover hard line port for the continuous-flow setup of the Early systems, the locations of the radiator hose inlets/outlets on the rad, and a few others. And no, you can't just use a rad "for any other 2.3L," as that includes a fairly large number of vehicles such as Mustangs and T-Birds, which are not readily compatible to the XR; so if you really want the least amount of work and the best result, please re-read my recommendations above: leave your superior jug setup alone; get the Early rad and Early rad hoses (Mike has the best options for these, and do the Shorty rad if an IC is in your future plans); and get two T-fittings, one for the lower hose for your fill hose from the jug, and one for the upper hose for the vent hose to the jug. No moving the jug, no exposure to turbo/exhaust heat, no re-plumbing for the continuous flow hose nonsense, no crossover pipe-- just the simplest and best arrangement.
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed

NUTSOFODEN

Post by NUTSOFODEN » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:33 pm

John Brennan wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:00 pm
No, there are other differences, such as the lack of a valve cover hard line port for the continuous-flow setup of the Early systems, the locations of the radiator hose inlets/outlets on the rad, and a few others. And no, you can't just use a rad "for any other 2.3L," as that includes a fairly large number of vehicles such as Mustangs and T-Birds, which are not readily compatible to the XR; so if you really want the least amount of work and the best result, please re-read my recommendations above: leave your superior jug setup alone; get the Early rad and Early rad hoses (Mike has the best options for these, and do the Shorty rad if an IC is in your future plans); and get two T-fittings, one for the lower hose for your fill hose from the jug, and one for the upper hose for the vent hose to the jug. No moving the jug, no exposure to turbo/exhaust heat, no re-plumbing for the continuous flow hose nonsense, no crossover pipe-- just the simplest and best arrangement.
Sorry, I misunderstood the previous comments. Just need to get the previous radiator and run the T-hoses as described. Still need to actually find a radiator, but knowing I can use one that fits an older model is very helpful. Thank you.

As for the IC, it alreday has one from the previous owner. That shouldn't change anything though, right?

Sorry for sounding dumb, I'm not super experienced and just trying to figure out how to get my car back on the road as best as possible.

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:55 pm

NUTSOFODEN wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:33 pm
John Brennan wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:00 pm
Sorry, I misunderstood the previous comments. Just need to get the previous radiator and run the T-hoses as described. Still need to actually find a radiator, but knowing I can use one that fits an older model is very helpful. Thank you.

As for the IC, it alreday has one from the previous owner. That shouldn't change anything though, right?

Sorry for sounding dumb, I'm not super experienced and just trying to figure out how to get my car back on the road as best as possible.
No worries, happy to help. What is the IC setup like?
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed

merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:49 am

John's solution is the "best" to keep the coolant jug away from the turbo - just needs some DIY with the T fittings into the earlier hoses.

Passenger side coolant bottle is (the easier) plug-and-play solution.
... but if you don't mind cutting the 85-88 rad hoses and sticking T's in then keeping the driver's side coolant bottle will be more beneficial.

NUTSOFODEN

Post by NUTSOFODEN » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:02 pm

John Brennan wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:55 pm
No clue honestly, the guy I bought it from described some of the mods to me but I was too excited about the car and everything he said went in one ear and out the other.

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:24 pm

NUTSOFODEN wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:02 pm
John Brennan wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:55 pm
No clue honestly, the guy I bought it from described some of the mods to me but I was too excited about the car and everything he said went in one ear and out the other.
Well, let us know, as that may have a bearing on this decision.
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:31 pm

merkurdriver wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:49 am
Passenger side coolant bottle is (the easier) plug-and-play solution.
... but if you don't mind cutting the 85-88 rad hoses and sticking T's in then keeping the driver's side coolant bottle will be more beneficial.
Except now you have to source an Early jug, when you already have the better one... and splicing in the T-fittings lengthens the hose just slightly for a better fit on the shorty rad, AND allows you to locate the vent hose at the highest point in the system; the upper end of the top hose... you still need the Ts for your fill hose and your vent-- right?-- and you'll need to cap off those unused bayonets on the Early jug for the continuous purge hoses...

It all depends on which rad he's running, too...
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed