Looking for auto bell housing for XR4Ti

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Looking for auto bell housing for XR4Ti

Post by zxr250cc »

I have just rebuilt my C3 with a NOS Ford kit and plan to use it for the winter before putting in an A4LD from a Scorpio that I have at present. I would like to have another bell housing so I can have the transmission fully set up and swap it and a modified drive shaft into the car in the spring as a weekend project. Anyone have an auto drive shaft they don't need? A 2.3 liter auto bell housing? All help welcomed...

Anyone have a parts list for the swap to the A4LD? I need some linkage parts and a gate part for the shift lever, I believe.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: Looking for auto bell housing for XR4Ti

Post by merkurdriver »

You'll need the 2.3 A4LD bell housing and the matching pump 2.3/A4LD

Here a little more A4LD into 2.3 XR info:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14991&hilit=a4ld+swap

Page 1 is my first swap. It was OK...good learning experience.
Page 5 is my second swap. Pretty much as refined and bolt in as possible.

Second swap consisted of:
1989 Scorpio A4LD as core (rebuilt to Explorer 4.0L specs)
1991 Mustang 2.3 A4LD bellhousing and front pump assembly
1988 T-Bird Turbo Coupe Flexplate
1988 T-Bird Turbo Coupe Torque Converter
Stock XR crossmember/mount (flipped backwards)
Scorpio A4LD dipstick and tube

I have a completely professionally rebuilt A4LD with zero miles ready to go into an XR for sale for anyone interested. Its a Scorpio a4ld ( no computer communication ) with the correct 2.3 A4LD front pump, bell, and converter. Willing to sell for what the bill was to have it built. Its like getting the 2 transmissions it took to make it for free. PM for more details if you're interested.

Also, some driveshaft info that may be helpful:

FYI they are all too long when an A4LD is in an XR. You will need to shorten the front section. All the rears are the same and all the trans yokes are the same, so you won't need to be picky on what driveshaft you choose.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

All you really need is the A4LD pump plate. Then use it as a guide to drill the holes that the C3 bell is missing. At least that's what Larry Davis once told me years ago, when I had been planning the same swap for my XR...

I do have laying around from that project, a tailshaft, and intermediate shaft(photos laterer) that will allow you to use the 6 pinion front planet with a Merkur tail housing and speedo. The North American bits move the speedo drive gear out of location for the Mekrur tail housing.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Thanks for the replies.

I have been reading the FRANKENTRANNY rebuild project from the Ford Ranger users group for the last year or so, (multiple rereads) and am going to use the C3 as is. My plan is to do many of the mods in the article and want to do it with a fully separate system of parts. I intend to run the C3 for the next 6-12 months and have a full rebuild of the A4LD with parts that can make sense for the Scorpio unit I have.

I already have the rebuild kit for the Scorpio/TBird '88 version A4LD and the solenoids that it needs. I am not sure yet what other changes I will make to it. I have a rebuild mechanic I will work with. I am going to give him the trans and the printout of the Frankentranny article and let him look to see what we can do. I am able to buy parts through my company and able to access most items needed that way. Specialty parts will be ordered as or if needed.

So, the first thing is that I need a bell housing for a 2.3 liter for an A4LD...

Cheers
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

You can use the C-3 bell, just have to use an A4LD pump plate as a guide to drill the extra holes needed IIRC per Larry Davis.

If you want to go to 6 pinion planets throughout like the 5R trans, I have a Scorpio specific tailshaft, and the matching intermediate shaft. I will verify that it is in fact a Merkur tailshaft. This one has the bearing in the front like the 5R. Elsewise you won't be able to use all 6 pinion planets.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

I am wondering if that is somehow different tail end from the current Scorpio A4LD complete transmission I have? I have found an A4LD 2.3 liter 4 cylinder bell housing locally (2 actually) and will be using one of them for my project. Now I need to buy the following:

(VENDORS NOTE HERE)

Poly rear beam mounts,

Poly front strut top mounts,

Poly control arm bushings

Poly sway bar bushings for stock front and rear sway bars,

I have been hoarding up various parts for well over a year now, including new PS pump, new alternator, struts, etc... and the above new poly items with a poly diff mount that I apparently will need to order from UK (sold out Stateside, I think.) will be enough to keep me busy for the time being. I have the '86 stock front sway bar and that is 24mm, yes? Car was a July '86 made car. I guess I have the narrow transmission tunnel in this model?

Thanks for the help all.

Cheers