Turbo life...

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Turbo life...

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I have the original T3 on my '86 and it has ~170k on it now. It seems to be working well but I am curious about general life expectancy with a stock T3? I used Mobil 1 in the '80's and '90's when I drove the car. I must admit I have no idea what my dad used when he drove it for five years while I was out of the country. Since reviving it I have been using 10w30 synthetic for 700 miles when first revived as first use oil, 15w40 mixed with one quart of 10w30 synthetic for 2,000 miles and now full synthetic 10w30. Oil was changed always in a timely fashion when I have been using the car. With good oil and used as a former DD what life have you all been getting out of a T3 before choosing a rebuild or replacement?

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Turbo life...

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

That sounds like a really long time. But if it boosts ok then it seems to have some service life left in it.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

It seems to be fine but I wonder if I should rebuild it while parts are readily available? What is normal for your cars? Mileage at rebuild time? It is better to use other turbos or keep T3 in it? Mine is the .48 unit since it is auto from new.

Cheers
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

I sold a good used one a few years back, I think for 100 dollars. Check any used one for shaft play before you buy it. I'm not sure how hard it would be to rebuild the old one or if it is worth it. The BW turbocoupe one is smaller. A new T3/T4 hybrid is an option, but I have heard both good and bad things when it comes to ebay cheapies. If you get a used one that dates back before the xr from some mercury or ford it may not have the water cooled center section. But it could have a slightly bigger turbine (hot side) while the compressor side will be the same.
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:56 am I sold a good used one a few years back, I think for 100 dollars. Check any used one for shaft play before you buy it. I'm not sure how hard it would be to rebuild the old one or if it is worth it. The BW turbocoupe one is smaller. A new T3/T4 hybrid is an option, but I have heard both good and bad things when it comes to ebay cheapies. If you get a used one that dates back before the xr from some mercury or ford it may not have the water cooled center section. But it could have a slightly bigger turbine (hot side) while the compressor side will be the same.
But the lag in the T3/T4 is much worse than the T3. That being said, when it kicks in, you know it.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

I have rebuild kits if you want to freshen up your stock T3.
...but, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" :)
With 170k I can see why you are thinking of how long the turbo will last. Like anything else - proper care and maintence go a long way.

If it still makes boost ( and doesn't overboost ), and there is no smoke out of the exhaust (white oil butning smoke) then you are probably good until there is a failure. Maybe its 10 miles down the road...maybe its 100k more miles down the road.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

I guess I skipped over the original question...

I have replaced dozens of bad turbos, but none were on my own XRs that I use / drive.
Many wastegate actuators have gone bad over the year of XR ownership, but I have never had a stock T3 turbo "fail".
(Owning over 100 of these cars over the last 25+ years)
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I am lucky in one respect in that the motor was a FOMOCO rebuild with very few miles on it when it overheated and cracked the head due to a cooling system leak and parked in '99. The wastegate has 3-5k miles on it and looks like a shiny new part. I was curious about the turbo and did not even think of the wastegate in my question.

I am a pack rat by nature with this car and have a spare alternator, power steering pump, starter, rear axles and radiator all new or reman in boxes ready to use if needed. I also have an 8ua ecm for a tbird for it that I have not installed yet since that will require an intercooler. So, back to the turbo... If I rebuild it at home how do I check it for balance as that is an issue with servicing these or any turbo, isn't it? I am a firm believer in preventive maintenance, not the repair or replacement of failed parts.

Cheers
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

If it still has the 86 exhaust manifold I'd find an E6 manifold and port it a little. Then put a good low mile turbo on along with the shiny wastegate. Don't forget the manual boost controller and bigger downpipe. Then use the TB ecu and a big vam. Use really fresh high octane fuel and if you notice any knocking/pinging under hard acceleration lift. Then dial back the boost a little. You can add an intercooler down the road at some point. :headbang
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I have the original exhaust manifold on it at this time. I wondered if it was an E6 or not. So, I am looking for an '88 Tbird manifold or a later XR manifold? I have a 3" downpipe that I bought recently and it's not installed yet as it requires a new larger pipe size cat and the rear exhaust pipe and my budget has not been adjusted to that so far.

The first law of economics: Wants are unlimited and resources are scarce. Like my budget. Sigh...

Cheers
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Well it would not have come with the later style "E6" manifold, but could have been replaced under warranty or by a previous owner.
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

zxr250cc wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:32 am Hi all,

I have the original exhaust manifold on it at this time. I wondered if it was an E6 or not. So, I am looking for an '88 Tbird manifold or a later XR manifold? I have a 3" downpipe that I bought recently and it's not installed yet as it requires a new larger pipe size cat and the rear exhaust pipe and my budget has not been adjusted to that so far.

The first law of economics: Wants are unlimited and resources are scarce. Like my budget. Sigh...

Cheers
Ford started using the E6 manifold during the 87 model year. Apparently some 86 cars had it so it probably was a running change.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

This is the original exhaust manifold on the car. I have never needed to change it. It is a one owner car of which there are a few in here besides me I think. It was a July '86 assembly date I bought in December '86.

Cheers
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

I forget... which was more prone to cracking in the web around cyl3, the E6 or E7?
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MarkM »

The original manifold had a 1983 part number, hence the "E3". It was prone to cracking, making the E6 the preferred replacement.
Mark