Getting ready for cold weather...

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
zxr250cc
Level 3
Level 3

Getting ready for cold weather...

Post by zxr250cc » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:56 pm

Hi all,

I am doing prewinter work this weekend on my XR. I have a three foot section of (Gates 24810) 5/8th inch silicone hose and the upgraded stainless steel (Gates 32310) hose clamps for that along with the best (Gates 32751) radiator hose clamps for the upper radiator hose which I recently changed out for preventive maintenance and did not like using the old Ford hose clamps over again. I am going to change all the little cooling hoses on the side of the motor with the silicone hose except the ones on the heater valve as I changed those with stock molded shape Gates hoses two years ago. As this will make me lose some coolant I am going to finish the changeout of the antifreeze which I started the weekend I changed the upper hose. We have an 11 quart system with the stock radiator and I used a gallon of concentrated universal antifreeze which would be good for -6 degrees according to the chart on the bottle. I want it lower than that as it can be quite cold in the midwest if it gets in the mood. I have seen 114 above and -38 when living in Columbia, MO for example.

I am still thinking about the IMSA spec XR race car I saw in Garnett and wonder why he did not bring the Roush car as well.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic

zxr250cc
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Getting ready for cold weather...

Post by zxr250cc » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:31 am

Hi all,

As a small follow up I will mention that both after market hoses I bought for the upper radiator hose were 1 1/2" on the pump side and 1 3/4" on the radiator side. The original Motorcraft hose was 1 1/2" on both ends. As a short term fix I tightened the hose clamp enough to keep the hose from leaking when the car was fully warmed up and running to see when it quit weeping water. That is not a good long term fix...

I am going to use a Gates 26391 Hose Adapter to make the hose fit correctly on the radiator side as a part of changing out the hose clamps on the motor. Why do I mention brands and part numbers in these posts? If you need something local you probably can find Gates parts. I would prefer the silicone hoses offered in here, certainly, but maybe you need a part now. So, thanks for reading this and hopefully it offers info you can use.

MarkM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MarkM » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:30 pm

zxr250cc wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:31 am
Why do I mention brands and part numbers in these posts? If you need something local you probably can find Gates parts. I would prefer the silicone hoses offered in here, certainly, but maybe you need a part now. So, thanks for reading this and hopefully it offers info you can use.
Thank you for posting this. It takes readers and contributors to make a forum.
Mark

andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 6
Level 6

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:21 am

You can get the upper radiator hose (85-88 style) from Advanced Auto. They will order it for you. It's the only place I found that could order it, other places try to sell you that universal flex hose. The lower hose I had to get a stainless steel one from summit racing, and use just one of the rubber adapters that comes with it. This was back before Mike was making the MD Silicone hoses or I would have just gotten that.
"Let me go get the keys to your brand new Hyundai!" Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

reddy2300
Level 2
Level 2

Post by reddy2300 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:00 pm

Why not just get the right hoses in the first place? Merkur Depot, Rapido, Merkur Parts Midwest and others have been trying hard to stay in business by servicing YOUR car. You repay their efforts with buying part (that end up not working) from a "discount parts store"?
1987 5-speed XR4ti-70K mile "barn find", Rosso Red, Grant wheel, short throw shifter, PE/big VAM, 255lph pump, 3" Stinger/Magnaflow exhaust, MD "shorty" radiator/IC, fake BBS wheels, Koni Yellows, Rapido sway bars, poly/aluminum bushes, Gillis valve, Eurolights,

andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 6
Level 6

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:13 am

reddy2300 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:00 pm
Why not just get the right hoses in the first place? Merkur Depot, Rapido, Merkur Parts Midwest and others have been trying hard to stay in business by servicing YOUR car. You repay their efforts with buying part (that end up not working) from a "discount parts store"?
Ya, check with the vendors first. That's what I did. Mike was able to help me figure out what my options were. I got his very last new radiator (it's his older version) and he showed me how it needed to be plumbed up 85-88 style. He told me about the summit racing stainless flex hose and about cutting up some different hoses and clamping them onto sections of pipe as another option. This was before the Merkur Depot silicone hoses were available.
"Let me go get the keys to your brand new Hyundai!" Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

zxr250cc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zxr250cc » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:39 am

Hi all,

I must admit to an error in my mention of the hose size on the XR as they are 1.25" on both sides of the radiator with both inlet and outlet the same size. I measured them with a micrometer and one was 1.26" and the other 1.271" so I am calling them 1 1/4" as that is the hose needed. This was an old FOMOCO radiator which I replaced recently.

Cheers