End of the rope with my '88

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: End of the rope with my '88

Post by merkurdriver »

Head bolt re-torqueing is just OCD on my part. Its more for aluminum cylinder heads than our iron ones.
(Just like you should re-torque lug nuts on aluminum wheels.)
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Re: End of the rope with my '88

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

Anyone ever clean their coffee pot with vinegar to dissolve hard deposits? It works in motors as well. Hint hint...

I did that in mine. I drained the antifreeze, filled with clear 1/2 water and 1/2 vinegar mix and it came out looking like dark crap from the stuff it dissolved after a fifty mile drive through the Ozark countryside on two lane highways. Nice drive, good cleaning result and all was well or better. I did it mainly because folks in here mentioned how stuff would try to sludge up in the intake manifold area. It is also very cheap as vinegar is not as expensive as flush chemicals. I even used natural vinegar with the 'mother' still in it for that nice apple cider smell! LOL My motor has about 170k on it and that was the first time I flushed it with anything as I usually changed antifreeze without a flush cycle.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic