Watching Hot Rod Garage tweek an '87 Turbo T-bird engine...

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
zxr250cc
Level 3
Level 3

Watching Hot Rod Garage tweek an '87 Turbo T-bird engine...

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I am watching reruns and seeing this episode today. They are changing injectors, ECM, the turbo, Boport cam and intake/exhaust system and adding an intercooler for more power. Anyone else see this?

They put it on a dyno and it did 278hp with the mods. Cool.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Watching Hot Rod Garage tweek an '87 Turbo T-bird engine...

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

That's it? They should have gotten some help from those dudes over at PM Motorsports.
You do not pick Merkur, Merkur picks you.
MarkM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MarkM »

That episode's been discussed before. Stinger talked about it a little at TurboFord and the bottom line is they didn't have the time that they really needed to work through the build, so there was a lot left on the table.
Mark
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I really wish these things did a more incremental approach... the whole kitchen sink approach is fun and everything, but I wonder how much of that +100hp came from what upgrade. I remember a conversation with a Saab engineer once and he admitted they could get +50hp from an '80s Saab motor with just ECM work and a turbo and no additional boost. I would not be at all surprised if a Lima was in the same boat.