How many 1 owner cars left in here?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

How many 1 owner cars left in here?

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I am thinking there are several of us in here who bought new and are still 'bitter clingers... ' Just kidding. I know at least one other original owner is in here but surely some others?

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
Brian Clancy

Re: How many 1 owner cars left in here?

Post by Brian Clancy »

I would be one - purchased new August 1986 - Strato Silver 5 speed 413K total miles presently with 6K on the 1 year old rebuilt engine.
XR early morning.jpg
XR early morning.jpg (285.18 KiB) Viewed 6248 times
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

Shiny! Looks very good! It is a somewhat strange thing the way these cars cause us to be so attached to them.

What exhaust system do you have on it? Local made or something like Borla?

Cheers
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

:headbang
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I seem to remember someone in here WINNING one of these (or his wife did, I think) at a car race or something? I hope my memory isn't faulty with this.

??

Cheers
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MarkM »

zxr250cc wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:54 pm Hi all,

I seem to remember someone in here WINNING one of these (or his wife did, I think) at a car race or something? I hope my memory isn't faulty with this.

??

Cheers
I believe that was John Brennan
Mark
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

??

Cheers
Are you talking about the car prize from Carlisle Ford Nationals? I believe Mike from MD found that car for the event promoters.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I am not sure of later history but I seem to remember someone won a car at a race track event during the new car sales period for the cars. Didn't someone mention that in here several years back? ??

Cheers
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MarkM »

MarkM wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:37 pm

??

Cheers
John Brennan has mentioned that his wife won an XR in a drawing at a Grand Prix race several times. Here's a link to one of the later instances:

viewtopic.php?p=297494#p297494
Mark
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

MarkM wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:04 pm
MarkM wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:37 pm

??

Cheers
John Brennan has mentioned that his wife won an XR in a drawing at a Grand Prix race several times. Here's a link to one of the later instances:

viewtopic.php?p=297494#p297494
Yes, though he forever called it his XR, not his wife's nor their joint XR. :mrgreen:

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:58 am

??

Cheers
Are you talking about the car prize from Carlisle Ford Nationals? I believe Mike from MD found that car for the event promoters.
Mike from MD may or may not have found it for MCA.

But for sure that car was inspected and anything needing fixing was done by Dave Planakis of NOVAMOG who ran an auto repair service but who also had a long history of servicing XRs and 2.3 TBirds.

YMMV
guytford

Post by guytford »

I can be included in the one owner club.

Have a 1985 XR purchased new. 72K milage and 99% original. Have been towing around for the last 15 years and am going through it system by system.
After tracking down wires breaks and vacuum lines fired up this week-end, good strong idle and on to the cooling and brakes.

Guy
kikmonster

Post by kikmonster »

I am happy to say that I brought my black xr stick new in May 1987. I lived in a place just outside of Pittsburgh and went to the nearest Merkur (Lincoln-Mercury) dealer. The sales team put to much pressure on me that I had to run out of the show room. They wanted me to take the car home on the same day. I just wasn't ready. So I found another Merkur dealer a bit further away and tried again. This was in the South Hills part of Pittsburgh. The dealers there were so nice and laid back (no pressure on a young 24 year old kid) I felt at ease. I took about about two more months to save my money to get a decent down payment to get my monthly to about $285 month for 5 years.
I have about 106,000 miles and have enjoy about every mile.
Today the weather was a balmy 54F for December so I thought I drive it for a short trip. It tried to start and made a bad sound and slowly died. Not sure if starter, alternator or battery but hope to check it out tomorrow.
What I enjoy greatly is all the people who stop or give me the thumbs up or just honk their horn because they love seeing this obscure car from the past so well preserved. It has been awesome. Many conversations with total strangers that get excited and make me feel good to have this piece of moving(just not today) history.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:35 pm Mike from MD may or may not have found it for MCA.

But for sure that car was inspected and anything needing fixing was done by Dave Planakis of NOVAMOG who ran an auto repair service but who also had a long history of servicing XRs and 2.3 TBirds.
You're confusing things. Dave Planakis gave away a red XR at the MCA dinner in 2005.

In 2010, Carlisle gave away a low-mileage minty red XR that was indeed supplied by Mike Oyler. I believe it may have lived it's life in Arkansas prior to Mike acquiring it.
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Could be (confused).

Was remembering the gray XR give-away; what year Carlisle was that 20 years, 25 years?

YMMV