Dim question

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Dim question

Post by milehighXR »

In every Merk I've ever owned, or installed an aftermarket head unit into, I've never, ever, been able to get it's display to dim with the rest of the gauges and such. I've tried splicing directly to the dimmer switch, I've tried wiring it to the circuit that the stock unit was wired to, and I still have never had one dim when headlights kicked on like it should. Is there a fix for this, or am I stuck with a radio display that practically blinds me when driving at night? Or am I doing something wrong with the install?

I ask because I'm getting ready to put the stereo back into the XR now that I have a permanent plate again, cuz I would like some tunes when driving around.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Dim question

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I have scene headunits with no wire available for dimming. I have scene units with only one wire (usually orange) for dimming and also units with 2 wires (one orange and one orange with white stripe) for dimming. This is so you can tap into either a dash light that comes on with the headlights or a dash light that dims with the headlights. So I assume it just runs an internal relay inside the unit. Should work fine on the XR, I can't see why it wouldn't. Unless the wire didn't have enough power to make the dimming feature function which would be very odd. Or possibly something was wrong with the headunit(s)?
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

I gotta look at the one that's here. I'll be replacing it with something that at least has bluetooth, and USB/SD input at some point, which leads to the next 2 qs

The first question, I wanna do a touchscreen headunit, double DIN, or single, I know it'll take significant custom work to do. I have a guy with a 3d printer, and he's offered to help. I know all the modern cars with factory touch screens have this ridiculous warning about not using the touchscreen while driving or some cockamamie BS like that( damn lawyers :lol: ). I refuse to participate in constantly accepting a nanny nazi warning every time I start the car. Its stupid, let me accept it once and move on. I knew the dangers of driving when I got my license 25 yrs ago, and they aren't really any different, just more idiots out there to drive around. Do all the aftermarket units have same stupid warning? Can it be disabled after the first time I accept?

2nd, how dim do the touchscreen units get? I assume they should have a dimmer wire too? I know I'll be able to read install guides before I buy anything, so I won't be going in totally blind.

If I can't go with a touchscreen unit that's fine. I've lived without one this long, and I can keep on keepin on.
Johnny

DCLXVI
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

I have a dash from an XR that a previous owner installed a double din. They mounted the head unit in the upper dash not the factory location. Looks like they used a universal plastic install kit which was screwed into the dash from the back. No screws or plastic stuff is visible when looking at the front of the dash.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Personally I can not stand touchscreen stuff. It drives me crazy and I really hate newer cars that require you to take your eyes off the road.
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I am sure that in the past Scoshe would have offered an install kit but those surely are all gone. Have you thought of looking in ebay UK for Sierra kits? Just an idea and maybe not useful but it comes to mind. I have occasionally ordered items from UK and they have all arrived as expected.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

I haven't checked yet, and to be honest, I dunno if I wanna spend nearly $500 on just the headunit, just so I can have a touch screen. I may go with my original plan of modifying the ashtray to support the smartphone, and then I have the best of both worlds. Unassuming, easily secured stereo, but a touch modern tech when I want/need it. All I really want out the screen is album/artist/song title when listening to the music on my phone/iheart radio/spotify etc...
Johnny

DCLXVI