Hatch lock

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Hatch lock

Post by milehighXR »

Damnit, I knew I shouldn't have locked the hatch....

For years, and I mean like a long time my hatch has never been "locked". Always in the state of closed, won't fly or bounce open, but never secured. Today I locked it be ause car thefts, and shite are way up locally( probably everywhere) not that my xr is pretty enough to steal right now. Anyhow now I cant get it to unlock soo I can open it. Same key as igniton and door locks. Though I probably oughta get a new lock set and ignition lock as even with a brand new key the locks are not great. Also my hatch has never ever unlocked with the rest of the doors, I can hear a click back there but it doesn't unlock or lock with doors.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Hatch lock

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I would guess that it is broken having been 'done in' by the solenoid that unlocks it. They are known for this and mine did that when my dad was driving it for years while I was living overseas. So I have a door key and then a different key for the rear hatch. Not uncommon, I am thinking. Does it completely refuse to do anything or what?

Others in here?

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

I got her licked. Huodini lock lube and working the key did the trick. The doors are super stiff still. Gotta figure that out too, but at least now the hatchbacks and unlocks without herculean effort.
Johnny

DCLXVI
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

Good news on the rear lock. Penetrating oil in all the door pivot pins and key holes will work wonders for any car that has been sitting for a while. If the solenoid in the passenger door sticks it will love penetrating oil as well.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

No oil lube in key locks (collects dirt), graphite powder is best.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:23 am No oil lube in key locks (collects dirt), graphite powder is best.

YMMV
This Houdini lube was recommended by a locksmith, and it works wonders. You not believe the amount of dirt that came out of the rear lock. As for the doors, I may have to pull the door cards off, and spray from the inside. I use this stuff on all locks, especially the ones on the storage units, as those don't get used very often, and are exposed to the elements. Frees em right up.
Johnny

DCLXVI