Sierra/Cosworth...

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Sierra/Cosworth...

Post by brokencase »

https://magazinelib.com/all/total-ford- ... gust-2021/

Scroll down a bit and you will see the pdf download link..
Specialization is for Insects
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Sierra/Cosworth...

Post by john keefe »

Great link! Thanks! Interesting to see the various aerodynamic mockups of the rear wing, etc., esp. to compare with the few other pics I've seen in other publications/books.

One article mentioned that the suspension/handling is not up to par with newer vehicles... yeah, but it depends on what you want/expect. Front struts can handle most situations OK, but I think the limiting handling factor is the inherent compromised geometry of the semi-trailing arm rear (rear-toe changes vs. camber during bump/rebound). I've wondered how much better it would have been if it had the less acute STA pivot angle used by BMW and MBnz in the '80's-90's.

Or, what it would drive like if it had the comp rear end with adjustable camber and toe with the RS500 modified attachment points. Better yet, a Supra, or Mustang Cobra IRS (heavy, though). Go figure... the first years' issue with the Cobra IRS's was that the axles broke from drag-racing starts by owners who expected Mustang burnouts like a solid live axle; hence one reason it took another decade + before Ford finally introduced the IRS on Mustangs.

OTOH, poly or Heim joints with stiffer springs and bar takes the toe-in/out issues out of it. Definitely not a quiet or supple ride, but it makes a big difference on ultimate handling.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Sweet. I will have to check out what else that website has to offer.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

They have quite a bit at that website. You have to check it every day. There were many other retro Ford items that I apologize for not posting earlier.

Another place to check out...https://b-ok.cc/
Just about any digital book you can imagine. Limit is 5 downloads per day.
Try searching for "Vizard" "Exhaust" "Auto Restoration" etc...
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Looking at the pics of those Cossies an it appears there is a trim strip/door protector that lines up nicely with the holes that were used to hold on the plastic cladding.

Is this an accurate assumption? If so where might I acquire such trim, as I would like to do the Cossie arches on my XR(already have fiberglass arches, just need jack covers) but I don't think my welding skills are good enough to fill the holes without noticeably warping the panels. I've seen a few other XR with the holes filled in, and even in a color that isn't black(my car is black and will stay that way) you can see the ripples in the body. They are noticeable from 50-100 ft, but hey are when up close.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Most auto paint suppliers will carry a few styles of body stripping/rubber on larger rolls. Probably won't get the exact style you want, but pretty close. Maybe ask a local collision shop where they get their paint. You could go to one of the large chain parts stores, and they might have something close, but in that case, if its not a 3M product, I'd pick up a good roll of 3M double-sided HD tape, and take the time to peel off the tape that comes with the rubber/strip. And, some paint-prep wax-remover to clean just the area you'll be applying the tape to ensure it will stick long-term.

One of the better ways to fill the holes w/o warping the door/body panels is to lightly tack-weld a little, square steel plate from behind the hole to the backside of the panel, then fill with epoxy body filler. You'll have to remove interior panels to access the rivet holes, but it works. If you tack weld from the exterior side of the hole, you'll see more warping, and probably create even more grinding it down.

Helps to take a stepped drill bit (cone-style) to lightly router out the exterior edge of the hole for more surface area for the epoxy to bite. Just go slow and don't make the hole bigger. :)
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »