Replacement speedometer cable?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Max_Alloy

Replacement speedometer cable?

Post by Max_Alloy »

For some reason I'm having a hard time finding a speedo cable. Is there a suitable substitute (like from the 1986 Capri)? Rock Auto lists several for the 1986 XR...I assume same as my 1988? But they widely range in lengths (66 in, 82 in and 95 in - pretty big range). Also, some of the cables are for models with cruise (I don't have that) and Tripminder (which makes no sense to me).

Anyway, any help for my dumb question is appreciated.
1988 5-Speed Regency Red XR4Ti
2001 5-speed Silver Acura Integra
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Replacement speedometer cable?

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

Don't they all have the tripminder? I guess that is a name for the setting showing miles since reset that I use for watching fuel economy, which is somewhat poor with these cars.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: Replacement speedometer cable?

Post by merkurdriver »

The "tripminder" one is the 2 piece cable if you have cruise control.
Next question is which 5spd transmission do you have? If you have an automatic or a T5 swapped in your car then these are pretty common ford speedo cables and easy to find.
If you have a T9 transmission (factory 5 spd), then you are entering into uncommon speedo cable territory and somewhere like rockauto will be of no help.
Try a Merkur specific vendor like Merkur Depot :D

(or MPM, or Rapido)