Passenger tail light out

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Passenger tail light out

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Ya because they are really common bulbs. They should be plenty bright I can't see that being any issue.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

They will work, with a couple of caveats... The LED will draw so little current that the dash light display will think they are burned out and show a little light for the bulbs as if burned out. The flasher will also probably flash fast as it will think there is a bulb burned out. I changed the rear bulbs in a Focus to LED and the flasher has been fast since then for this reason. There are flashers that accept LED or bulbs and function OK, you just have to get the one that can do that if this bothers you.

It has been quite a while since I looked at the plug for the rear bulbs but many plugs like that have the individual wires going into a little 'socket' space in the plug and they have a little tab in the tiny wire end fitting that should make the wire stay in its' place. Sometimes they get messed up and the wire is in there but it can move around a bit. Perhaps this is what is happening? Works sometimes...

Someone in here sold LEDs with resistor loads to make the little display think a bulb was good. I remember that from quite some time back...

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I was looking in ebay for LED 1157 scooter brake lights and noticed some of them mention CANBUS which would be units with a load resistor and would work without turning the little dash light on thinking the bulb is blown. If you check for that you will see lots of options. Just a thought.

Cheers
anthonyd

Post by anthonyd »

My passenger side taillight running light still isnt working and it is not the bulb. When i hit the brakes the light comes on but it will not work when i turn my lights on. It is the right taillight. I switched the passenger housing and plugged it in the drivers side and the running bulb worked so I know the housing is good. Any ideas
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

anthonyd wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:57 am My passenger side taillight running light still isnt working and it is not the bulb. When i hit the brakes the light comes on but it will not work when i turn my lights on. It is the right taillight. I switched the passenger housing and plugged it in the drivers side and the running bulb worked so I know the housing is good. Any ideas
Have you tried clipping a ground wire onto the lighting frame and then to the body? Usually would use the latch bolts which hold the hatch, but you could do a quick and dirty check by finding a ground and trying it. Do you have another lighting frame for the pass side?
You said change the housing and it works, when I think of the housing, I am thinking of the plastic orange/red, tail light which is just plastic, no electrical.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

anthonyd wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:57 am My passenger side taillight running light still isnt working and it is not the bulb. When i hit the brakes the light comes on but it will not work when i turn my lights on. It is the right taillight. I switched the passenger housing and plugged it in the drivers side and the running bulb worked so I know the housing is good. Any ideas
See my photo in post of 3/23/22 above re the harness side connector.Each wire connector has to be able to make a good/ clean/firm grab of the male connector prongs.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
anthonyd

Post by anthonyd »

I tried tightening the harness connectors but no luck.
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

Do you have the electrical service manual? I have a physical and digital copy of that. PM me and I will send the digital file for this.

Cheers
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

anthonyd wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:56 pm I tried tightening the harness connectors but no luck.
Have you tried clipping a ground wire onto the lighting frame and then to the body? Usually would use the latch bolts which hold the hatch, but you could do a quick and dirty check by finding a ground and trying it. Do you have another lighting frame for the pass side?
You said change the housing and it works, when I think of the housing, I am thinking of the plastic orange/red, tail light which is just plastic, no electrical.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

[Noah: he seems to be referring to the bulb module.]

Maybe there's an issue at the stalk switch for the passenger tail light wire.

YMMV
anthonyd

Post by anthonyd »

Fuse 25a is burned out. My dash light also doesn’t work
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

The only 25 amp fuse in the fuse box, if they are all as original, would be fuse #12 in the fuse box and that is for the cigar lighter, vanity mirror, courtesy lamps and the fuel computer as shown in the electrical and vacuum trouble shooting book.

Cheers
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

The XR's rear cigarette lighter should not be overlooked.

YMMV
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

The ground point for that tail light should be near the license plate bulb housing and it is the same ground point as the right bulb as well: page 11, G101 ground point. Is that a clean connection for the ground?

If you have a multi meter with sharp points on the probes you might try tracing along the wire to see if it has power and then failure at some place with maybe a mouse bite? Sorry to bring up mice so much but I have had to clean up after them in multiple stored cars.

PM me, I'll send the file for the troubleshooting manual.

Cheers