T5 clutch cable adjust

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

T5 clutch cable adjust

Post by milehighXR »

Back in 2019 I put a T5 in the XR. I had a Mustang clutch cable(direct cable pull bell). I've noticed that I seem to have about 1/2 pedal travel before the clutch disengages. I can't see any way to inspect the clutch for friction thickness without pulling the trans to verify I need a new clutch. I gotta ask the guy that gave me the trans and all the bits(I had a to supply the driveshaft) how many miles he had on the clutch when he gave it to me.

Right now I seem to be maxing out the clutch adjuster. All I have is the stock adjuster, it's a brand new piece from Merkur Midwest IIRC. Its all black plastic. As I was looking at things today to see if I'm having anything hang up I noticed that the mechanisms under the car are hitting the floor board. It does not look like its causing the issues I'm having as when I first started driving the car with the T5, I could get in each gear no issues.

Right now I can feel the gears engaging, no grinding, except occasionally in reverse. I'm tempted to just stick a new clutch and pressure plate in it and see if that fixes me up.

Is the T9 cable shorter than the Mustangs?
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: T5 clutch cable adjust

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

You had it all working before, and cable length didn't seem to be an issue. Also the stock clutch setup is self adjusting right? So if now the pedal seems weird, and you say something is hitting under the floor it sounds like something recently changed. Like something has come loose. Sounds like you are going to have to pull it all apart and retrace your steps from the install. Maybe replace any parts that look suspect.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

milehighXR wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:38 pm Is the T9 cable shorter than the Mustangs?
My recollection is that the Mustang cable is actually shorter. But it's a little weird how effective length can be different from actual length - I think it's got more to do with the housing length. I know when I changed the firewall fitting of the Mustang cable I changed the effective length. Someone smarter than me would have to explain it.
Brad
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Talked with ghost on sat(hes the P/O of this trans and clutch setup).

It seems I may have trimmed a bit too much off the tube on the clutch pedal "box", and my clevis may be too long. Everything did work, however I don't think the install was perfect. Regardless, I need to redo this. The clutch has less than 20k miles on it so I don't wanna replace it yet. I gotta get my hands on a transjack so I can check the pilot bearing, as it could be causing me issues, assuming I remembered to put one in, my car was an auto from the factory.

I did compare to my T9 cable, and the mustang one is longer by nearly 4in. I dunno if using the T9 and routing it like factory would make a difference or not. I need to reroute the cable as it is, as I don't like how close it comes to the coil tower.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI