Alignment, rack, or strut issues???

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Alignment, rack, or strut issues???

Post by milehighXR »

Back in 2014, early 2015 I replaced all my shocks, struts and springs. Shocks/struts are Koni yellow adjustables, and the springs are from MC2. I can't remember which ones anymore, gotta find receipts, stock height IIRC. All new bushings, the fronts came from MC2, and the rears are orange poly urethane from OPMD. No rear sway bar ATM as I'm running Scorpio STAs, and haven't fabbed the brackets to fit a Scorpio rear sway bar yet. I'm 99% certain I did a wheel alignment right after I finished the work, as I had all my own gear at the time. I would've set it at 1/16" total toe in(my gear was set up in inches, not angles).

Now when I drive the car it pulls to the right hard, but the next time I drive the car it pulls left hard. I swear there was one day this past week when it tracked straight like it should, and only follow the "crown" of the road.

When I turn the steering wheel tight one way or the other I hear a loud "clunk" sound from the front end, doesn't even have to be to full lock. Is this having any effect on what I'm seeing. Is there something else goin on here? I'm not terribly worried about the tires yet, as I only drive about 8mi one way to and from work. I can rotate the tires every week if need be, and these tires were dirt cheap, plus I'll probably replace them due to age before they wear out. Speaking of which, I need to look the date code on them, they may be closer than I think :lol: :roll: :shock:
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Alignment, rack, or strut issues???

Post by my8950 »

If it was me, I would lift the front up, remove the wheels and torque everything where it should be.
Do you paint mark them? If not, I would...That makes it easier to inspect and see if they're moving any.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Adjust tire pressures too.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
opel72gt1

Post by opel72gt1 »

Hi, I had a car that was doing the same thing on me. I took it in for an alignment and the mechanic called and told me my steering rack mounts were loose. I had checked everything and never thought to check those. Steering was fine after they fixed that issue. Let us know if that is the issue.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:39 am Adjust tire pressures too.

YMMV
I guess this is the obvious, but yes, also a good idea.
Most likely need to remove the winter air and replace with summer air.
reddy2300
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddy2300 »

If you're having that much trouble with steering the car, I'd seriously stop driving it until you can verify it's safe to drive. (Because all indications say that it's not.)

Get it up in the air and get it inspected.
1987 XR4ti--Mustang Cobra 5.0/T5 transmission, AFR heads, fake BBS wheels, Koni Yellows, Rapido sway bars, poly/aluminum bushes, Eurolights, Sierra rear/Focus front discs,
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

reddy2300 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:23 pm If you're having that much trouble with steering the car, I'd seriously stop driving it until you can verify it's safe to drive. (Because all indications say that it's not.)

Get it up in the air and get it inspected.
I wouldn't call it a huge issue, more of an annoyance. Certainly not gonna drive cross country like that, or permit anyone else to drive the car until everything is sorted out.

I didn't even think about the steering rack mounting bolts. I'll look this weekend when I get back to the project. I'm driving the "mom mobile" this week, mostly cuz I still gotta spend time on my clutch cable.
Johnny

DCLXVI
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

my8950 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:54 am
Ed Lijewski wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:39 am Adjust tire pressures too.

YMMV
I guess this is the obvious, but yes, also a good idea.
Most likely need to remove the winter air and replace with summer air.
:haha :haha :haha :haha :haha

I think they put low altitude air in the tires at the shop. They sounded funny till I topped em up on friday. :lol:

No difference in the way she steers though.
Johnny

DCLXVI