Pop-out window seal replacement ?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
talldiver

Pop-out window seal replacement ?

Post by talldiver »

Does anyone have any suggestions on where/how to replace these? Does anyone make replace ones or will I need to cut-to-fit? The driver's side has split, thankfully at the bottom of the window, and lets in moisture.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Pop-out window seal replacement ?

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I did mine from parts I got from Mike at the Merkur Depot. Really easy job to do. The only issue you might have is if the interior "sail panels" are old and brittle. Luckily I found some nicer interior panels, upper/lower dash, headliner, parcel cover, dome light and more from some local parts cars.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Pretty sure that split is OE. I have two '88s with both side window seals with the split...in the exact same place, and I"ve seen other XRs which have the same split.

Mine do not let moisture into the rear cabin.

FWIW

YMMV
Last edited by Ed Lijewski on Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

Yes, I believe the split was standard equipment, not an optional add on! Mine do not leak either. Sunroof seal leak could do the problem? Just wondering about possible causes...

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
talldiver

Post by talldiver »

Everyone,
Thanks for the info.
It's been in the rain a couple of times and I haven't seen any leaks. Just a lot of moisture in the car. Once I fix the ac, that might help. If I still have the problem, then I'll go looking for gaskets. Not high on the to-do list.
Everything is original except for the stereo, front struts, air intake and exhaust.