Scorpio electric sunroof into XR?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Scorpio electric sunroof into XR?

Post by my8950 »

Not sure where to start, so I figured I'd try here first.
I have a Scorpio sunroof assembly that is in good condition, I have removed it from the car and had idea to install in my XR.
In the past I have seen an attempt at this, but it also seemed to leak like crazy since the headliner was nasty and damaged due to water.

Any references to this, or attempts?
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Scorpio electric sunroof into XR?

Post by my8950 »

Ok, I found a handful of links from people who have done this. Seems like the Scorpio unit is not a motorized direct replacement for the XR.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Yeah, the motorized juice of just pushing a button instead of turning a crank is not worth the squeeze required to make it work.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:57 am Yeah, the motorized juice of just pushing a button instead of turning a crank is not worth the squeeze required to make it work.

YMMV
I agree...I think it would be cool to do though since I have all of the parts to change it out.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

A few weeks ago I posted (in the Scorpio rear window issues thread) that on my '88 one day the sunroof didn't respond to Open command. Up to that time never an issue. (Oh sh*ite...)

Fortunately a few days later it worked normally.

But now I'm wary about trusting it.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

my8950 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:02 pm Ok, I found a handful of links from people who have done this. Seems like the Scorpio unit is not a motorized direct replacement for the XR.
Well yes and no...

The length of the splined shaft on the Scorpio assembly is different than the XR so its not as easy as just sticking a Scorpio power sunroof motor into your XR.
However...if your talking about transplanting the entire Scorpio sunroof cartridge and accompanying motor then it becomes a little more feasible. The glass is physically the same size.

I think Bart (BlackBart on here) may have recently taken on this exact swap.

Personally, I'd be pleased if all my XRs were sunroof-free and had crank windows.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

merkurdriver wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:41 pm
my8950 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:02 pm Ok, I found a handful of links from people who have done this. Seems like the Scorpio unit is not a motorized direct replacement for the XR.
Well yes and no...

The length of the splined shaft on the Scorpio assembly is different than the XR so its not as easy as just sticking a Scorpio power sunroof motor into your XR.
However...if your talking about transplanting the entire Scorpio sunroof cartridge and accompanying motor then it becomes a little more feasible. The glass is physically the same size.

I think Bart (BlackBart on here) may have recently taken on this exact swap.

Personally, I'd be pleased if all my XRs were sunroof-free and had crank windows.
Correct, just removing the whole deal from a Scorpio and installing to an XR.

I agree, if it had no sunroof, I'd be content that way as well.
Although my first few cars back in early 90's had crank windows and it sucked.