Gates Thermostat

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Gates Thermostat

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Figured I would order new thermostat in 195F and 180F styles from Gates. Always had good luck with there other parts like belts and hoses.
180 degree gates pn 33298S (listed as alternate temp on website)
195 degree gates pn 33299 (listed as oem temp on website)
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Gates Thermostat

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

Gates are OEM makers for many car parts for US makers. Order a Delco belt, hose or water pump special order and it will likely come from Gates in a Gates box, for example.

Just things I've seen in the past.

Their cam belt kits with tensioners are also good. The Continental stuff was sold by Goodyear in the past, for another good OEM supplier.

The 'S' designation on the thermostat means it will fail open, not closed, if it fails. 'safety". It won't overheat the motor that way.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
toffeepeanuts

Re: Gates Thermostat

Post by toffeepeanuts »

I think I'll give these a try. I replaced my old one of unknown origin with a brand new Motorad 195 piece and I've been having cooling issues on anything that isn't the hottest days. Before I put it away this season because they just put down salt, driving it around my aftermarket temp gauge read somewhere around 150-160 F, even with a piece of cardboard blocking most of the grille.