T-9 tranny oil change

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

T-9 tranny oil change

Post by Ray »

one of the many things i wanna do is get the transmission oil changed. i have two quarts of mobil 1 75w90 waiting to go in. i cannot find the plug.

the filler plug is easy to locate but i think filling will be a bitch.

any ideas?
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
Lomike7

filler

Post by Lomike7 »

All parts store sell a cheap hand pump to pump the fluid in with. It gets a little messy. I havent had the shifter boot ou of mine yet, but if its like my mustang you can remove the cover and shifter and pour it through the shifter hole. Good luck. Mike
94 Cobra with windsor, soon to be turbo'd!
86 Merkur XR4Ti, work in progress!
xrian
Level 7
Level 7

Re: tranny oil change

Post by xrian »

There is no drain plug on the T9. You will have to use a siphon to get the old fluid out. Also bear in mind that the T9 uses a synthetic type of ATF but you can replace it with gear oil to help it take more shock loading. Just note that the shifting will be stiff until the oil warms up.
demonfire wrote:one of the many things i wanna do is get the transmission oil changed. i have two quarts of mobil 1 75w90 waiting to go in. i cannot find the plug.

the filler plug is easy to locate but i think filling will be a bitch.

any ideas?
Ian G-J
Ontario, Canada
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

that's what i feared. i'll do that then. i'm going to use mobil 1 75w90 (capacity is 2 or 2.6 quarts?)

the shifter is VERY sloppy. is that the nature of the beast or is there a solution?
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
xrian
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrian »

If the shifter is really sloppy, the nylon bushing on the shifter fork under the shifter is either worn or most likely broken away. If you can find someone on list that has a blown T9, maybe they have a good bushing they could get to you. I'm pretty sure the BAT short shifter kit comes with a new one. That shifter is a huge improvement to the T9. Only thing better is when you go to the T5 conversion further on.
demonfire wrote:that's what i feared. i'll do that then. i'm going to use mobil 1 75w90 (capacity is 2 or 2.6 quarts?)

the shifter is VERY sloppy. is that the nature of the beast or is there a solution?
Ian G-J
Ontario, Canada
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

I'll look for a freebie bushing for now then. I'm trying to troubleshoot this car before i start to modify her.

On a good note, the guibo coupler looked good when i was under the car.

On a bad note (maybe), the exhaust hanger bracket immediately in front of the cat was rotted off. The piping on the downpipe isn't bad. The rest is pretty rusted up, and i think i have a midas cheapy tailpipe. after the resonator (after the muffler) the piping steps down a size
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by merk23literturbo »

DO NOT USE GEAR OIL FOR THE T-9 TRANS. The gear oil will ruin it. It needs either the special Merkur fluid or you can use a good synthetic. I used Red Line MTL and it worked OK. The new Focus fluid is supposed to be a drop in. When I bought my manual trans car it had gear oil in it and when I drained it out it was FULL of brass shavings. That trans was pretty much shot. After putting in the Red Line MTL it at least would shift when it was cold out. It would hardly shift with the gear oil in it. The T-5 also does not use gear oil, if you do a swap.
Don
German engineer: We custom fit every part in the Porsche engine.
Japanese engineer: You mean that you make every part wrong to begin with?
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

OK, the gear oil for the T9 trans may be synthetic, but it's still gear oil. The T5 uses ATF.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

okay, now i'm confused. i have mobil 1 full synth gear oil in 75w90.

should i use the synchro mesh stuff found in the newer cars instead?
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
xrian
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrian »

No it won't! Unless the trany was ready to blow appart in the first place, you will NOT ruin a good one by using gear oil. In fact it will last longer due to being able to withstand more shock loading. YES, it will be stiffer to shift when cold but ni lack of lubrictation will occure. If you can afford it, use a synthetic gear oil that will flow easier when cold. No matter how you slice it, the T9 is a very weak trany and will not take much abuse but for those who can't afford to do a T5 swap, this is just an option for them.
merk23literturbo wrote:DO NOT USE GEAR OIL FOR THE T-9 TRANS. The gear oil will ruin it. It needs either the special Merkur fluid or you can use a good synthetic. I used Red Line MTL and it worked OK. The new Focus fluid is supposed to be a drop in. When I bought my manual trans car it had gear oil in it and when I drained it out it was FULL of brass shavings. That trans was pretty much shot. After putting in the Red Line MTL it at least would shift when it was cold out. It would hardly shift with the gear oil in it. The T-5 also does not use gear oil, if you do a swap.
Don
Ian G-J
Ontario, Canada
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by merk23literturbo »

The T9 that I pulled out of my car had 75-90 W gear oil in it. The oil was changed fom the factory oil at 50 K by his mechanic. I have the receipt for that. I drained it out at 112K. The previous owner drove the car gingerly and never beat the car. If the 75-90 W gear oil is OK to use then why are all the synchros gone and why does the oil look like gold metallic paint? Since there are no other forces acting inside the trans I would assume that it was caused by the wrong weight gear oil. The THICKER gear oil will not get into the very small spaces where it needs to be to lubricate the synchros. Those clearances inside the trans are too small for the 75-90 W gear oil to get into. That must be why the trans is toast. If you can explain a different reason why it happened, I am more than willing to listen. I can't think of any other reason.
German engineer: We custom fit every part in the Porsche engine.
Japanese engineer: You mean that you make every part wrong to begin with?
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

super. well i have (like i said) full synth mobil 1 75w90, because i think i read somewhere (last year when i bought a bunch of stuff for the car) that it was compatible.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
xrian
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrian »

It's called luck of the draw. I've had low mile one owner XR's where the T9 failed. Also high mile XR's where they were beat to crap and still going.
20 years+ as a mechanic and many of those working for Ford is where I'm coming from. I'm just stating from my experience and such.
To each thier own. I'm not getting into a pissing match over this.
merk23literturbo wrote:The T9 that I pulled out of my car had 75-90 W gear oil in it. The oil was changed fom the factory oil at 50 K by his mechanic. I have the receipt for that. I drained it out at 112K. The previous owner drove the car gingerly and never beat the car. If the 75-90 W gear oil is OK to use then why are all the synchros gone and why does the oil look like gold metallic paint? Since there are no other forces acting inside the trans I would assume that it was caused by the wrong weight gear oil. The THICKER gear oil will not get into the very small spaces where it needs to be to lubricate the synchros. Those clearances inside the trans are too small for the 75-90 W gear oil to get into. That must be why the trans is toast. If you can explain a different reason why it happened, I am more than willing to listen. I can't think of any other reason.
Ian G-J
Ontario, Canada
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

so ian, will the mobil1 75w90 work?
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT