BOV?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
SVT Driver627
Level 1
Level 1

BOV?

Post by SVT Driver627 »

Well the merk i picked up has a bypass valve but i'd like to have a blow-off, I'm looking at a Turbo XS RFL Type H, and i'm wondering if this will be compatable or what i will need to do to put it in, will i just need to replace where the current BPV is and mount the BOV there, I'm a turbo powered newbie so any help is greatly appreciated, also it is still murky on where to mount it if it will not take place of the BPV, does it go on the engine intake side or the exhaust? I know i will need to remove the BPV for the BOV but should i just seal up where the BPV went or mount the BOV there? Thanks guys.
~Alex

2000 SVT Contour
For Sale:
KD-AR5000 JVC HU
18" RS5's with tires
2 dish recievers
Local only please
SVT Driver627
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SVT Driver627 »

Ok, i now know for sure that the BOV goes from turbo to TB after intercooler. and i was wondering if someone could give me a rough idea as to where the BPV is, here's some pics, find the BPV!

I want to say it's connected to the line that is routed around the cap for the coolant tank, but i may be mistaken.

~Alex

2000 SVT Contour
For Sale:
KD-AR5000 JVC HU
18" RS5's with tires
2 dish recievers
Local only please
WidebodymerK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WidebodymerK »

i cant see your pics, but ill try and get a pic for you tomorrow eve.
SVT Driver627
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SVT Driver627 »

alright his should work, i've just come to realize yahoo hosting sucks!

~Alex

2000 SVT Contour
For Sale:
KD-AR5000 JVC HU
18" RS5's with tires
2 dish recievers
Local only please
Black94 5.0
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Black94 5.0 »

That looks like a bypass valve...A bypass valve basically has pipes and a vacuum line where as a blow off valve only has one pipe and a vacuum line....

A bypass valve basically takes any excess boost that gets traped infront of the throttle plate and re-routes it back in front of the turbo to more or less get recycled....So, on a bypass valve you should have a pipe comming off right before the throttle body on the intake side, then it goes to the actual bypass valve and then the other end goes infront of the turbo and after the VAM....

A blow off valve basically takes any excess boost that gets traped infront of the throttle plate and vents it into the atmospere and makes a nice WHOSHH sound....IF you get a blow off valve be careful and make sure you get one that will work with the Merk's VAM system...Other members on here have recommended the FORGE 2 way blow off valve..It seems that's one of the only ones that will work with a VAM system...One thing about blow off valves is that they let "metered air" out of the system...Basically, "metered air" is air that has passed through the VAM and accounted for by the computer...By letting metered air into the atmosphere and out of the system it can cause tunning problems...

Unless you want that "whoosh" I'd stay with the bypass valve and spend your money on all the tons of other things that makes our XR's so great...

Good luck....
*Bilsteins, MC2 250# coil overs front, 600# rear, BAT sway bars, full 3" exh, Gillis valve, K&N, MC2 Diff mount and bushings, 17x7 Team Dynamics Monza's, 225/45-17's, Eaton Posi, RS500 (clone) intercooler/radiator, Forge BOV and LA computer and big VAM...
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

TWIN PISTON IS THE ONLY BOV THAT WILL KEEP YOUR CAR IDLING. Any others will be like a big vac leak. The purple one on this site is nice. It comes in other colors, too, like blue (see sig).

http://www.40bob.com/accessories.html
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
SVT Driver627
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SVT Driver627 »

MerkXRTurbo wrote:TWIN PISTON IS THE ONLY BOV THAT WILL KEEP YOUR CAR IDLING. Any others will be like a big vac leak. The purple one on this site is nice. It comes in other colors, too, like blue (see sig).

http://www.40bob.com/accessories.html
witht he purple one, how loud is the *psssshhhhhh* sound? I want to be nice and loud and i have found a very good deal on the Turbo XS RFL Type H, money is very tight for me unfortunatly.
~Alex

2000 SVT Contour
For Sale:
KD-AR5000 JVC HU
18" RS5's with tires
2 dish recievers
Local only please
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

I'm glad you asked. First of all, it's not a whistle like the HKS BOVs... it sounds more like a truck's air brakes. Second, it IS loud. If I have my windows down and I'm between two cars it will hurt my ears... literaly. :twisted:

Funny thing is, I often spool the turbo and take my foot off the gas so that I can blow off when I go by pedestrians, and I've had several girls scream when I go by because it's so loud, and on Saturday I drove up behind a fat woman that was walking with her back to oncoming traffic (me) and it blew off when I went by her and she screamed and jumped into the bushes!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I almost died laughing! :lol: :lol: :lol:
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
SVT Driver627
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SVT Driver627 »

Well would the RFL from TXS be compatable, because i really like the sound that it generates.

http://3sxperformance.com/bovs.asp click on the sound clip.
~Alex

2000 SVT Contour
For Sale:
KD-AR5000 JVC HU
18" RS5's with tires
2 dish recievers
Local only please
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

I'd say that that is similar sound, however, those are not twin piston and they WILL keep your car from idling. I guarantee that the Forge BOV is as loud... especially if you crank your boost up (I'm running 19psi, although 15 is plenty loud). It also got alot louder when I put my intercooler on.
WidebodymerK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WidebodymerK »

here are my pics....i think i posted these on in another post somewhere...

SVT Driver627
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SVT Driver627 »

WidebodymerK wrote:here are my pics....i think i posted these on in another post somewhere...

which BOV is that? and how loud?
~Alex

2000 SVT Contour
For Sale:
KD-AR5000 JVC HU
18" RS5's with tires
2 dish recievers
Local only please
mangostick
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mangostick »

[/quote]Funny thing is, I often spool the turbo and take my foot off the gas so that I can blow off when I go by pedestrians, and I've had several girls scream when I go by because it's so loud, and on Saturday I drove up behind a fat woman that was walking with her back to oncoming traffic (me) and it blew off when I went by her and she screamed and jumped into the bushes!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I almost died laughing! :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

dude! thats awesome!!!! I love scarin fat chicks :lol: cant wait to install mine (got a black one) ...you goin to carlisle this year?
where'd I put that damned hammer?? :-D

Shawn Mangan
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

No, can't afford the long trip. One of these days. :)
sidewaysxr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sidewaysxr »

the greddy type s carries for long distances, especially at 20 psi 8)
89 xr4ti
05 srt4
89 yamaha fzr400