Engine Volumetric Efficiency

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
wilky
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wilky »

rat_n_a_cage wrote:
wilky wrote:Just what did you do on that sub anyway rat-n-a-cage??
I was a reactor operator (nuclear propulsion plant). If I'm an expert at anything, it's boiling water! :lol:
So cool (or hot). Not many people realise that nuke boats are driven by steam engines that get their steam from the ultimate kettle!!!

There was a huge public outcry here in Canada when we were planning on buying nuke powered boats - most people I spoke to automatically thought the nuke part meant they had nuclear weapons. The general public are friggin morons at times - given that our huge northern border is under ice most of the year a nuke boat is the only thing that can effectively patrol up there (although I have no idea who were defending against unless its guys like you :wink: )

Wilky

PS: Are you going to Carlisle?
Seeking relationship with sexy lady Merkur owner (send pic of Merkur).
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

Cozz wrote:Stock 2.3 VE= about .75-.80 without boost.
That high??? I've always thought that our engines flowed less than most stockers. :?
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
Cozz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Cozz »

MerkXRTurbo wrote:
Cozz wrote:Stock 2.3 VE= about .75-.80 without boost.
That high??? I've always thought that our engines flowed less than most stockers. :?
For what I remember some years back. I did a calculation by using the stock VAM voltage numbers vs. air flow at a certain rpm. Subtract that to the size of the motor (100% possible air) and these where the numbers I was getting thoughout the RPM range.
60-1, ATR manifold, modded Conquest IC, 3.5" custom upper, fully gutted lower, Crower rods with all the goodies, Dimond ash strays, 3" exhuast, 30 PSI+ baby!
rat_n_a_cage
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rat_n_a_cage »

wilky wrote:
PS: Are you going to Carlisle?
As of right now, I'm still on for Carlisle.
flylear45
Level 4
Level 4

Post by flylear45 »

That high??? I've always thought that our engines flowed less than most stockers.
Why don't YOU do the calculation and see what you get for a VE, Merkxrturbo?
Then you can let us know what you come up with.
You've already been handed all the information you need!:roll:

:D
Jim Franks

Merkur-less for now
member of the Bowling-Grippo fan club
2.3 turbo TR7 http://home.roadrunner.com/~jimmble/