Cosworth Engine

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
lckyrocket
Level 1
Level 1

Cosworth Engine

Post by lckyrocket »

Is there anyway to find a Cosworth engine in the US or do I have to find someone to ship it from the UK? If there is anyway I can get one in the US, or anyone that is selling one for some bizzare reason let me know :shock:

Thanks~

Mark
XR4Timan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by XR4Timan »

There was a naturally aspirated Cosworth engine sold in the US from SVO Motorsports in the 80s, but they are rarer than hen's teeth to find. Even if you do, they will go for $5gs. Europe (esp England) would be the best place to ship one from. Oddly however, it is cheaper to ship the engine from Germany than from Britian. Go figure!
1986 Sierra Cosworth
http://www.geocities.com/merouby
lckyrocket
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lckyrocket »

Thanks dude!
xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrattiracer »

theres a few different importers you could talk to.
Draken in vancouver bc (theres a merkur meet there next month!), Jvab in seattle, and some others that i cant think of right now.
86 Silver XR4Ti. 'squirted. 12.7@111
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6
lckyrocket
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lckyrocket »

BTW, how do I find one? I tried ebay of Germany, no full engines. I need help here too, lol.

Thanks
GeneticRehab
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GeneticRehab »

There was a naturally aspirated Cosworth engine sold in the US from SVO Motorsports in the 80s
I have a SVO book from the mind 90's. And they sold the full motor or the upper half kit with crank and pistons. But it was for mini stock or circle track. I will have the book when I goto Carlsile. But If you peice the parts. It wont be to bad. But shipping will cost alot. I plan on going to England in the next 3 years. Then I will try to bring a a$$load of stuff back. If money is no object then by the parts and build it. But if moey is tight stay with the 2.3
Jason Liss
1989 XR Still in pieces

1986 XR Sold!
lckyrocket
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lckyrocket »

Yeah dude, whenever u go to london, let me know. I got like $3-5k for a Cossie engine :twisted:

If I dont have one by then, try to find me one and get me some contacts. If you find me a good price I may even give u a nice tip, lol.

Thanks
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

I've seen them on ebay for 5k before.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
lckyrocket
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lckyrocket »

Yeah, I am keeping my eyes on ebay.
XR4Timan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by XR4Timan »

You can get them for around $2500 used complete & shipping should cost appx $800 to your nearest dock.

I can furnish the shippers and the contacts. One of several pluses of being a UK resident.
1986 Sierra Cosworth
lckyrocket
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lckyrocket »

Dude, hook me up! Send me a PM w/ some more info.

Thanks!
XR4Timan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by XR4Timan »

PM me your email address.
1986 Sierra Cosworth
lckyrocket
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lckyrocket »

Sent you a PM
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Well, I have seen with my own eyes one of the N/A Cosworth 2L I4 engines that was destined for a still-born spec engine series in Mexico in the early 90's. The number of engines built was tiny - possibly less than 10. It actually went for a song on eBay because nobody knew what it was. I heard about it after the fact, or surely a bidding war would have erupted between myself and the guy who bought it. As best as I know, the motor still sits untouched, but the owner has no interest in selling.
svo855
Level 2
Level 2

Post by svo855 »

[quote="XR4Timan"]There was a naturally aspirated Cosworth engine sold in the US from SVO Motorsports in the 80s, but they are rarer than hen's teeth to find. quote]

Are you talking about the 2.1L NA engine?