Clutch quadrant removal

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
whitelx
Level 7
Level 7

Clutch quadrant removal

Post by whitelx »

I need to remove the clutch quadrant on my 86 XR so I can install the spring that goes from the quadrant to the clutch pedal. I am guessing this requires removing the clutch pedal as well.

I am having a difficult time figuring out how to remove the clutch pedal. The service manual is no help as it seems not to mention anything about the brace on the left side of the clutch pedal that keeps the pedal from sliding off the shaft. :x

How do I get this thing out???
1986 XR4Ti - 294rwhp/315ft-lbs
1992 Mustang 5.0 notch - 434rwhp/445ft-lbs
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitelx
MarkM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MarkM »

I've only done this a couple of times, and my memory's not that great, but the clutch and brake pedals come out as a single unit. Release the clutch cable from the quadrant first. I remember needing to remove three nuts, either 15mm or 17mm IIRC, and I think two are horizontal into the firewall and one is vertical. Once you've got the nuts off, you kind of wiggle the pedal unit off of the three bolts.

It's been suggested that removing the driver's seat will make it a lot easier to work under the dash, and I think I did that the first time, but the second time I did it, I just practiced my contortionist act. Hopefully someone else can add to/correct this info.
Mark
wilky
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wilky »

Yup, exactly as MarkM says - I did mine a couple of days before Carlisle without removing the seat. There's no way you can remove the clutch pedal from the assembly without first removing the whole thing - not that I could figure out anyway.

Wilky
Seeking relationship with sexy lady Merkur owner (send pic of Merkur).
85merwhat?
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 85merwhat? »

Actually it can be done without removing the whole thing, it requires bending the bracket which can be bent back with little problem. But im only 5'5" so im pretty small and can fit in there pretty good. If you just need to install the spring it can be done without taking it apart at all, just a pair of needle nose and a little muscle. I have done that twice, done the whole thing 5 times, damn nylon gears.....
whitelx
Level 7
Level 7

Post by whitelx »

I got it out last night. two 17mm and one 13mm. It wasn't too bad at all. I ordered a new quadrant from OPMD tonight since my original one is cracked around the hole for the spring, which must be why it was missing.
1986 XR4Ti - 294rwhp/315ft-lbs
1992 Mustang 5.0 notch - 434rwhp/445ft-lbs
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitelx