EGR system

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
mangostick
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mangostick »

Colin wrote:Or just move to a non-emissions state. Minnesota, baby. :lol:
Or Florida! hehe... I havent had a egr on my machine in quite a while..just made a plate out of 1/8" aluminum stock, got a new gasket and blocked it off...used a threaded plug of the apropriate size on the exhaust man. All said and done, I get 25mpg on the highway @ approx 75mph... with 87tc t-5 and 3.36 rear. ymmv but I didnt notice much of a change from egr to egrless operation. It is very much easier to work on though.
where'd I put that damned hammer?? :-D

Shawn Mangan
Vasja
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vasja »

US parts distributor here, in Estonia, can't get me the EGR valve. maybe someone knows the part number of it?
85 XR4Ti in Estonia. one of the three ones :)
MC6521

Post by MC6521 »

So in your country do you need one or do you need the block off plate?BTW guy's , read the post and where the guy is from before posting. Getting on a soap box about smog laws in your STATE will not fix HIS problem. Read first, than think, than write a reply......BTW what is wrong with your EGR valve? Is it dirty or is the rubber part torn ,cut etc...How have you tested it? If it is intact than use a good parts cleaner and clean the hell out of it and the tube as well as the upper intake manifold.....And than put everything back togather with new gasket (you can make your own out of gasket material) Once you have it one the car . Test the EGR, disconnect the vacumn hose and apply a vacumn source to the valve ( a hand pump works) and with the engine running pump until engine starts to die( should be about 15 # or so) if the car still runs the valve is bad....For more in check with turboford.org etc...If you need one Britsh American Transfer sells a new one for about $75.00 U.S. Or I might fine a good one in a wreacking yard here in the States...
mangostick
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mangostick »

I removed the egr primarily because they kept cracking in two...now I dont know about you..but I dont have the "petty cash" to keep tossing $90 to replace one each time it broke..I dont know when you last checked with bat on the price either..but including shipping its more than $75. And for the pice of fuel its not worth it to drive down there just for a part Im going to replace again in two weeks. Yep..two weeks, thats about how long it took to crack a BRAND NEW one in half. Something must have been misaligned to do that, and I wasnt about to spend MORE money to find a "not replaced/nla" egr tube or risk getting another twisted or bent one from a salvage yard to cause the same issues. Im a student with a student budget and right now this car has to get me from point a to b in somewhat efficient fashion. Costing me money hand over fist for something that has little benefit to my pocket or driveability is not an option. I keep my car in as best a state of tune as a 20yr old car and time will let me. None of us posted off topic, if your willing to flame all of the people who posted under this topic who did NOT deviate from the origional topic..have at it sir, I havent had a good $#!* flingin contest in a long time. Federaly speaking we're all suposed to run cats and smog equipment (canada included). Every owner/opperator of a motor vehicle should be aware of thier local and federal regulations reguardless of where they may be. I dont need a damned soap box to associate with my piers on common subjects. Not only that but the origional question was NOT where to get one..but what would happen if it was removed. We answered that question AND some even stated that he should check his local laws first and foremost. READ FIRST, THINK, WRITE REPLY. My suggestion based on that... take your own advice more often.

Shawn Mangan
Vasja
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vasja »

don't argue, guys, it's useless.
so, the problem is, that the exhaust gases leaked through the EGR. I've taken it apart and obsereved. the rubber part works great and in normal condition. so, why did the gases passed outside? the valve is curve or cracked near the gasket place.
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

I'm still not following what the problem is?

Are you saying you have an exhaust leak and you think the EGR valve is the source? Are you saying the car is running funny?

If you can't find one in your area to replace a faulty one, you can remove it and not see any real gains or loses.

You may notice a tendency towards light detonation on part throttle accelerations (the ECU still thinks an EGR is there and is calibrated thusly), but that may depend on the ECU you have. Some are more aggressive timing-wise and it would be more noticable. You may notice a slight drop in fuel economy, but again nothing major. You also will probably not notice any performance difference since it doens't do anything at WOT anyway.

If you can't get one at this moment, but want to keep everything in place, you can block off the EGR ports pretty easily by adding a piece of metal between the EGR and the intake, or any various other means. If you just want to take it all off, you can make a plate to block the EGR location and buy a plug to close the port on the exhaust manifold. You can then remove the vacuum line and the solenoid....
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."
Vasja
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vasja »

the car doesn't run at all, cause the engine is being rebuilded. so, the problem is 0that the exhaust gases leak throug the EGR valve. that was th-e problem when the car was running.
I'can't get a new one EGR valve, so I'll just remove it.
thanks for the answering
mangostick
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mangostick »

atleast you can safely remove it, here in alot of places that isnt an option. I wish you the best of luck on it! Let us know what she's like after the rebuild! :D

Shawn Mangan