Tire size

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Apsalus wrote:Bump from the dead. I had some snow tires last winter that I thought were the correct size, but they rubbed the wheel wells when cornering. Do snow tires run big? What size do you guys use?
What size tires and which wheels were they mounted on?
Brad
Apsalus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Apsalus »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
Apsalus wrote:Bump from the dead. I had some snow tires last winter that I thought were the correct size, but they rubbed the wheel wells when cornering. Do snow tires run big? What size do you guys use?
What size tires and which wheels were they mounted on?
Sorry, the tires are in storage. I'll get the measurements from my dad tomorrow. The wheels are the stock "spatula" style I think is what they're called.
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Snow tires, even in stock sizes, can rub, because the shoulders are more "squared" and the tread runs deeper.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
Maurice S
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Maurice S »

I run 195/60 blizzaks on stock 14" rims no proble, I do have the 15mm spacers on them though...I cnat go without the spacers because the lugs are too long.

It makes the car livable in the snow...meaning i wont get stuck unless i do something completely idiodic.
85 XR '" Lightly Street Massaged"
Larry Velk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Larry Velk »

My Blizzaks rub on the wife's '89 (41k, no broken springs, 195/60 - 15, 'new' style Blizzaks). Left turns, full lock. Winterforce (not the best tire as they aren't round) do not rub on my '88 (110k, no broken springs, still original struts). Camber, etc. OK - shows production variation on a car with very close tire tolerance, difference in spring sag, tire, sway bar fore/aft, lots of variables. Yoko 'Guardex' on old '89 (can't say 'old wife's car') do not rub despite 2 broken front springs - which, BTW, you can't tell when driving it.
'Old' '89 with goodness knows how many seasons on 'Guardex' STILL has decent snow traction. The worlds best snow tire if you keep it a long time.
'86 928, black, 5sp, red full leather, 55k
(daily driver!)
'91 FZR 1000
'64 XKE FHC, in a thousand pieces
2003 BMW Ci (just like an XR!)
'89 XR, red family car