If you could start over...

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Frag
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Frag » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:39 am

I'm on my 2nd XR, a mono black 88. It only needed a few things fixed and it's now a daily driver that I have "big plans" for.

It's replacing my old Silver 86 XR that I paid too much for but I dident really care, I was just happy to be driving an XR and saving one from the scrap yard as well. It had it's fair share of problems over the 3 years of me driving it. A combination of it being poorly maintined over the years and me being broke pretty much all of the 3 years of it being my dairly driver and not being able to get various items fixed made for a pretty harsh relationship at times.

I think a big part of it is not even the car but mostly the people I have met over the years of driving this car. PNWMON has been nothing but nice to me over the 3+ years I have been apart of it. It has made a driving an XR quite a positive expierence. If I was driving anything else I highly doubt I would of gotten the help, or friendship and that right there is reason enough to keep driving an XR for years to come.
:)

vchipeur
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vchipeur » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:24 am

I'm sure i'd say i'm still enjoy merkur ownership... i just wish i'd gotten off to a better start!

I got royalled screwed when i bought mine, bought from an owner who knew squat about it, and when something went wrong with it, he patched it best he could and sold it, only good thing about my car was that the engine was rebuilt, and the t9 as well, although i had 2 rather large mysterious bellhousing holes in my car, and the guibo was missing a large chunk. But i over paid on my car by about 1500 bucks atleast! Which sucks, cuz well, that could've paid for my t5 swap right there! and an intercooler! Instead i got stuck with a broken xr, bald tires, weak battery and rear springs stuffed into the fronts!

But XR ownership has taught me some good lessons and i've met some amazing people along the way! I'm slowly becoming more mechanically inclined, although i'm a better listener than talker when it comes to wrenching, and i need to be told everything because i knew nothing. Rob and bryan know all about that, thanks guys! So i owe a lot to my xr than a good ride now and then, good friends, good community, and a good learning as well!

So other than being a money pit and forcing myself to buy a new daily driver (since my daily drive involves about 1500k a week, and the hell of an Alberta winter) i'm quite satisfied with my xr, it's got its issues (fuel pump right now) but it won't matter once i get a chance to garage it sometime. Anyways, that's my rant.

For now, happer MERKURING! and remember, if it doesn't brake, and runs right! it mustn't be a MERKUR!

MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:02 am

Frag wrote:I'm on my 2nd XR, a mono black 88. It only needed a few things fixed and it's now a daily driver that I have "big plans" for.
DJ, your car is an 89. :roll:
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.

MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:27 pm

AlexD wrote:
MerkXRTurbo wrote:
Frag wrote:I'm on my 2nd XR, a mono black 88. It only needed a few things fixed and it's now a daily driver that I have "big plans" for.
DJ, your car is an 89. :roll:
you and you're special hard to find color and year lol :lol:
Huh??? :? :? :?

Am I the only one who is confused by this post?
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.

bw_krupp
Level 4
Level 4

Re: If you could start over...

Post by bw_krupp » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:50 pm

smoke3006 wrote:would you still get involved with XR4Ti's?
Just a simple question from someone who's seriously thinking of buying one. :wink:
Quite simply, no. I like Merks, and my 87 has been the best car I've ever had. However, for the same amount of money, I could have dumped a few thousand into a free Toyota Starlet and been deep into the 11s or more. My Starlet weighs 1380 lbs right now (could easily lose another 150 lbs), has 85 hp, is faster than my merkur to 60, handles better below 60, is more of a "Zen" car, and simpler, cheaper to work on. And I've only spent $100 on top of the original price. Just swap a better engine in and hang on. So, on a dollar for dollar basis, the answer is no. However, Merks are fun too, more comfortable on the long haul, etc. I prefer the rugged goodness of the Toyo.