Volvo Head Conversion

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:37 pm

I'm trying my hardest to NOT be one of those guys who's been working on this swap for years, but nothing seems to be going my way... I'm broke, the guy who was supposed to port the head has had it since July (still hasn't begun to port it), my buddy with TIG access has been promising to finish welding my intake manifold for months (still hasn't touched it), etc. progress has slowed to a halt currently. I've been treading water, so to speak, for a couple of weeks trying to get the Megasquirt all put together, but all I'm waiting on now is one more transistor from DIYautotune and I'll be done... there's just not much more I can do until I get that head back. :(

</vent>

I'm kinda thinking I should whip together a bob's log style manifold for the time being... then build a proper header later on. :?

Colin
Colin Doyle
'89 Scorpio | Volvo B234F head | Holset HX35 | Megasquirt | T5 | 8.8 IRS | mc²racing suspension
File to fit, paint to match.

fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:36 am

Brad, (not specifically aimed at you!) IMHO those that have been doing the Volvo conversion for years...I think are over thinking the whole process...some have been working on it for years meanwhile PM has turned out 3-4 of them. They need to be like Nike....Just Do It!. LOL
Erik AKA MerkurSport's Bill payer. www.Merkursport.com The virtual Garage. Bring your own nudie calendar. You can now find MerkurSport on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MerkurSpo ... 5756984607

MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:36 am

AnHonestCitizen wrote:Personally, I hope that we are here because we all love Merkurs! :D
BTW, I think yours is a really sweet example MerkXRTurbo. Really dig that graphic across the back. Don't want to hijack, but is that stock?
No, it's not stock. A previous owner did it... and it's not just across the back. SORRY FOR THE LARGE IMAGES:

You can see it in the corner of the pic here:

You can see that it runs the length of the car, and the wing is painted black to play into it. I really like it too.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:21 am

fastmaul wrote:Brad, (not specifically aimed at you!) IMHO those that have been doing the Volvo conversion for years...I think are over
thinking the whole process...some have been working on it for years meanwhile PM has turned out 3-4 of them. They need to be like
Nike....Just Do It!. LOL
Yep, I totally agree. "Perfection" is the enemy of "good enough".

Not to worry Colin, you've still got a couple years to go before we really start giving you $#!* about this project! :twisted:

fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:30 pm

[quote="DPDISXR4Ti]Not to worry Colin, you've still got a couple years to go before we really start giving you $#!* about this project! :twisted:[/quote]
Speaking of....how's that XRatti going? LOL
Erik AKA MerkurSport's Bill payer. www.Merkursport.com The virtual Garage. Bring your own nudie calendar. You can now find MerkurSport on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MerkurSpo ... 5756984607

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:42 pm

fastmaul wrote:[quote="DPDISXR4Ti]Not to worry Colin, you've still got a couple years to go before we really start giving you $#!* about this project! :twisted:
Speaking of....how's that XRatti going? LOL[/quote]

Why do you think I was giving Colin a couple years to complete his project?! :lol:

anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:16 pm

MerkXRTurbo wrote:SORRY FOR THE LARGE IMAGES:
For God's sake, dude! Follow these instructions. Right click the icon of the image file you want to reduce in size. Click "Edit" and it will open in "Paint." Go to "Image" and select "Stretch/Skew." Choose the percent size of the original image that you want to reduce the image to. Choosing 25% or so for those pictures would be a good idea. For example, the original image is 2304 x 1728, choosing 10% in horizontal and vertical would scale the image down to 230 x 173. You can also Ctrl-A and shift the image contents around in the window and then reduce the dimensions of the image file to trim the fat out of the image.

It's not hard, really, and Windows comes with the program you need to make sanely sized images.

fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:02 pm

LOL!!
Holy actual size Batman!

Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:53 pm

Holy crap, Luke! What in the devil happened to your front bumper? I mean, I've nicked mine here and there with a misplaced grinder stroke, but yours looks like that all over! :lol:
Colin Doyle
'89 Scorpio | Volvo B234F head | Holset HX35 | Megasquirt | T5 | 8.8 IRS | mc²racing suspension

Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:54 pm

Also, I'm confused by that second pic... there's this guy, who at first glance appears to be a big burly manly man, then you look again and he's carrying a yellow purse. :lol:

Colin
Colin Doyle

fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:03 am

Colin wrote:Also, I'm confused by that second pic... there's this guy, who at first glance appears to be a big burly manly man, then you look again and he's carrying a yellow purse. :lol:

Colin
I thought that was you Colin!?
Bwahahahahahahahaha

markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Volvo Head Conversion

Post by markwemple » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:32 pm

What kind of power increases can you expect with this modification?

Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:32 am

Don't do it. Ask yourself how many people have attempted this and have a reliable car. And how many say it's not worth the effort for the cost unless you can build your own manifolds and everything else needed for the conversion.

andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:19 pm

But it looks so cool when you pop the hood and you're like ya it's dohc.
You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. There's shrimp kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried, pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp in potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich....

DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:34 pm

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:19 pm
But it looks so cool when you pop the hood and you're like ya it's dohc.
A YB is cooler.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?