A-Pillar Dual Gauge Pod... Help...!!!

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Cosworth
Level 2
Level 2

A-Pillar Dual Gauge Pod... Help...!!!

Post by Cosworth »

Guys and Gals, I have just bought some "PHAT" autometer gauges but... Just can't figure out the autometer Part # for the pillar pods :?: . I work at an auto parts joint, any my cost is dirt cheap (rather than buying from the net and paying an arm and a leg for shipping to Canada), so if any of yous out there knows and autometer #, it would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
Greenturbo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Greenturbo »

AUTO METER DOSNT MAKE ONE FOR OUR CAR..

LOTECK I THINK MAKES IT..

opps.. sorry bout the caps
MEMBER OF FAST COMPANY
*86 XR4TI*82 Mustang TT351*65 Mercury Comet*
BRYXR4TI
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BRYXR4TI »

1986 XR4Ti
bw_krupp
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bw_krupp »

I must say though that compared to the quality of the plastic already present in the car, the Loteck part is inferior. It just feels flimsy. And it doesn't *quite* line up right (you can move it up or down a little bit and there is either a gap at the top or the bottom...so I put the gap at the bottom because the carpet cover on the dashboard and it still doesn't quite work). And the paint on the grey one wears off easy. However, all these issues aside...it works..it fits.
vcallaway
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vcallaway »

I used some weatherstripping to pad the gaugepod. Similar to how the stock pieces are padded. It really helped the fit.
Vince Callaway
BRYXR4TI
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BRYXR4TI »

Mine worked ok it took a little adjust ment but i got it look pretty good

I agree tho they are flimsy but they still work and there is no other option for a pillar pod in NA that i no of
1986 XR4Ti
KingpinCEO
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KingpinCEO »

i want to get the right hand drive a pilllar gauge pod.

so my passenger can tell me stuff.
1985 Merkur XR4Ti - 2.5 ranger block greyhound bus turbo
1988 Mercedes Benz 190e - awaiting airbag suspension
2005 Dodge Magnum - 336,000 Mile Daily driver
2008 Subaru Legacy GT - crazy loud boxer rumble
2009 Suzuki GSX650F - crotch rocket

ig: @DJ_Kingpin
Greenturbo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Greenturbo »

BRYXR4TI wrote:Mine worked ok it took a little adjust ment but i got it look pretty good

I agree tho they are flimsy but they still work and there is no other option for a pillar pod in NA that i no of
piller pods are for girls , dash pods are where its at :wink: :wink:
MEMBER OF FAST COMPANY
DGrue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DGrue »

I bought a cheap A-pillar pod (for a mustang, I think) and used fiberglass to mold it to the pillar. When it gets light out I'll go and take a picture.
Greenturbo wrote:piller pods are for girls , dash pods are where its at :wink: :wink:
I actually agree with you on this. Although functional, they (a-pillar mounted gauges) add too much of the "High-school-kid's-car" look for my taste. That is also the only reason why I don't have an accurate, aftermarket "monster tach" obnoxiously epoxied to my dash. I am seriously considering relocating the gauges on my a-pillar to the centre vent.

Does anyone have a left a-pillar in light grey for an 86 they want to get rid of? :D
Greenturbo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Greenturbo »

DGrue wrote:I bought a cheap A-pillar pod (for a mustang, I think) and used fiberglass to mold it to the pillar. When it gets light out I'll go and take a picture.
Greenturbo wrote:piller pods are for girls , dash pods are where its at :wink: :wink:
I actually agree with you on this. Although functional, they (a-pillar mounted gauges) add too much of the "High-school-kid's-car" look for my taste. That is also the only reason why I don't have an accurate, aftermarket "monster tach" obnoxiously epoxied to my dash. I am seriously considering relocating the gauges on my a-pillar to the centre vent.

Does anyone have a left a-pillar in light grey for an 86 they want to get rid of? :D
i find that the piller pods are to close to my face.. hard to focus on ect.. and i dont look there normaly .. so i opted to make a tash top..

for pics, look here

http://fastcompany.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=1092

russ has a million piller trims

Rob
MEMBER OF FAST COMPANY
Ghost
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ghost »

I actually like my a-pillar pod. I used to have some gauges that replaced the clock and the graphic display and I found that I never look in that direction because it takes quite a shift of view to look at the center console. Ideally the gauges would get mounted in a pod above the stock instrument cluster or the whole cluster should be replaced with aftermarket gauges.
'85 XR4Ti: Stuck in "Project Forever" SC LS swap hell...
Image Image
"All cruelty springs from weakness" - Seneca
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

I like my pillar pod, too.

It would be an interesting project to modify the cowling that goes around the stock guage cluster to hold a couple 2 1/8" guages on the left side of it. I'll have to go sit in the driver's seat and check it out to see if I'll be able to see them.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
BRYXR4TI
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BRYXR4TI »

DGrue wrote:I bought a cheap A-pillar pod (for a mustang, I think) and used fiberglass to mold it to the pillar. When it gets light out I'll go and take a picture.

I dont view my car as the average honda civic / Chev cavalier high school cars that im used to seeing with the ugly aluminum F1 wings and fart cans out the back.
the A-pillar to me is the easiest way to add guages without having to eliminate anything from the dash.
however that the stock clock would have been my second choice and I probly will get other guges in the future to put there.

Rob an XR painted to look like a wanna be dukes of hazard charger is for girls :P :lol: J/K your just jelous because i currently have the fastest XR in our little group hahahah :lol: :P
Last edited by BRYXR4TI on Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1986 XR4Ti
Freejack
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Freejack »

Though I haven't sized it, I'm thinking it would be cool to have a pod that mounted where the amp vent is on the dash, just a couple bumps rotated slightly to face the driver.

Jake
Greenturbo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Greenturbo »

BRYXR4TI wrote:your just jelous because i currently have the fastest XR in our little group hahahah :lol: :P
faster just means you break more often :wink:
MEMBER OF FAST COMPANY