quick brake question

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Carlisle 2020
xr4tiguy
Level 4
Level 4

quick brake question

Post by xr4tiguy » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:57 pm

Ok, some of you may remember my brake ordeal (probably not though :) ) anyway I need rotors and calipers (both appear to be toast.) A friend of mine is junking an 89 mustang with a 2.3. Are any brake parts compatible. I've been looking through the past posts but most people are trying to upgrade brakes. (I just want the car to stop for now!)
thanks guys
Nick

2.3L motor + Turbo + $ + Time + More $ = One helluva good time

anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Re: quick brake question

Post by anglin » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:23 pm

xr4tiguy wrote:A friend of mine is junking an 89 mustang with a 2.3. Are any brake parts compatible.
I seriously doubt there are any interchangeable brake parts between the Mustang and the XR, even if the Mustang has the 2.3 (though I don't think you were implying that the similar engines meant similar brake parts, but I figured I'd mention it to be sure).

A quick review of the brake parts that the XR has:

- hose
- caliper
- anti-rattle clip
- pads
- rotor

If your calipers are toast, you'll need pads too. Here's a link to an auction of mine for Ford pads:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merkur-X ... dZViewItem

Man, that's ugly. The ebay item number is: 8018732441

Oddly, I'm not finding auctions for brake rotors anywhere on there. I never see new calipers on ebay either. You can be patient for some rotors to pop up. I recommend BAT for stock calipers. Unless you want to rebuild a set of calipers yourself, I do not recommend buying somebody's used calipers. You can't expect them to be any better than what you have.

Good luck!

Texranger
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Texranger » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:41 pm

Here's a couple of links of XR4TI Brake Rotors on Ebay:

49.99 + Shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merkur-X ... dZViewItem

44.99 + Shipping (or Submit Best Offer)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-198 ... dZViewItem

Good luck man!!

Nick.

anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:14 pm

Texranger wrote:Here's a couple of links of XR4TI Brake Rotors on Ebay
Nice catch. I must have been in too big of a rush to see those.
Last edited by anglin on Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

xr4tiguy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xr4tiguy » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:02 pm

I guess I should have better phrased my question. I realize that the calipers won't fit right on, but was wondering if with an adapter it would work? I don't know, I just want to get this thing on the road without spending a fortune, and since he's junking the POS anyway I thought I would check.
If not, I'll probably just upgrade to later mustang brakes and Contour calipers, but can't really swing all that right now. Thanks guys!
Nick

2.3L motor + Turbo + $ + Time + More $ = One helluva good time

anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:32 am

xr4tiguy wrote:... was wondering if with an adapter it would work? I don't know, I just want to get this thing on the road without spending a fortune, and since he's junking the POS anyway I thought I would check.
I don't think anybody makes adapters to attach base model Mustang calipers to the XR spindle. If you really wanted to, I don't see why you couldn't come up with an adapter to do that. I just don't know why you would want to. It might save you $80 to do that, but you'll always wonder if the brackets will hold up. If you really want to use them, your first step is to hold the calipers up to the car to see how close they are.

Here is one remote possibility. The calipers on the base model Mustang you have access to *may* have the same bolt pattern as the T-Bird calipers that Godfrey uses for the big brake upgrade. If they happen to be the same, you just have to get the adapters and SVT rotors. Of course the only difference between what you'll end up with and the big brake kit is the calipers, so what is the point. Here's a link to Godfrey's page on the upgrade:

http://www.key-ideas.com/DG_FrontBrakeUpgrade.htm

BAT has a set of calipers for less than $130 (just hang on to the floating section of your caliper). Autozone has rebuilt units for $36 a piece (assuming they are correct). Neither is a fortune.

In reality, you should be telling us whether or not these calipers fit the car. You've got the best seat in the house to provide this information. I'm certainly interested in hearing how it goes.

Once you get your Merkur up in the air and the Mustang calipers near the spindles, post again so we know how they fit or how much work it will need!