Starter Motor 1986 XR4Ti

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
whaleywanderer2

Starter Motor 1986 XR4Ti

Post by whaleywanderer2 »

Can anyone help?
My son has a Merkur XR4Ti in Sydney, Australia, this is a one off as the car was originally imported from the US and there are no other models around. He is stranded with a burnt out starter motor. I have tried to locate one here in the UK but the 2.3 Lima engine was not made over here. I would be obliged if anyone can offer any advice or even where I can locate one.
Thanks Terry UK
John R. Rowlands
Level 5
Level 5

Starter

Post by John R. Rowlands »

whaleywanderer2,

There shoud be automotive electrical shops on the UK that can rebuild your sons starter look around and see what you can find!

John
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
whaleywanderer2

Starter motor XR4Ti

Many thanks John for replying so quickly. My only problem is the starter motor is in Australia. We have tried to get it rebuilt in Oz but informed that it's impossible!
Terry
John R. Rowlands
Level 5
Level 5

Starter

Terry,

I can't remember for sure but I think some of the Capri's had 2.3 engines. Don't know if the starter is the same. Another thought is to take the starter with you and go to a junkyard and see if you can find one that matches!
I can't believe that the starter can't be rebuilt they are really not that complex.

John
whaleywanderer2

XR4Ti starter motor

Thanks John I'll try what you suggest. I must admit that I thought it would have been possible to rebuilt it there, but my son says he has been quoted AU$400 to have it re-profiled. I'll ask him to get some more quotes.
Terry UK
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Ask your son to have the shop that quoted him $400 Aus to tell him what part(s) failed. The most likely part failure usually is the armature--that's the shaft-plus-coil-winding, then the regulator/brush pack, and then possible the shaft bushings. A complete rebuild would likely replace all of these as standard procedure. But, if only one or two failed, those parts could be located eitehr from a junkyard or a rebuild shop at fair prices, and with shipping to Australia all together should be well under the $400 Aus quote. The XR starter case which includes the iron magnets is VERY heavy, so if that doesn't need replacement you could save a lot by not shipping it.

Also, others on this Forum will suggest installing a Ford 2.3 Ranger starter of about 1994-5, as I recall, which fits and works perfectly and is smaller and weighs less than the original XR starter. :wink:

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

C'mon, guys, mc2racing sell the "mini starter," which costs a little over $100, incorporates a built-in solenoid, weighs less, works better, solves world hunger, and is guaranteed to Get You That Girl. Why screw around with the old piece, in a foreign land where they aren't made anymore (and good riddance)?

http://www.mc2racing.com/products/xr4ti ... index.html
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Which starter cranks your XR, JB :?: :)

YMMV 8)
John R. Rowlands
Level 5
Level 5

Starter

Terry,

WOW!!! :o that $400 AUS translates to $549.59 US dollars.
Thats a lot of money.
You could buy one from Chris, but I don't know where you would get it fixed if it ever broke.
Is that starter available in the UK?. If so it might be cheaper to send one from the UK than it would be to have one sent from the US.

John
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

John Brennan wrote:C'mon, guys, mc2racing sell the "mini starter," which costs a little over $100, incorporates a built-in solenoid, weighs less, works better, solves world hunger, and is guaranteed to Get You That Girl. Why screw around with the old piece, in a foreign land where they aren't made anymore (and good riddance)?

This was my thought as well. Additionally, isn't this starter from another car? IIRC a Mustang? I'm betting there are other 5-oh powered cars in Oz that use this device. Can someone supply a part number so it can be cross-referenced?
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

thesameguy wrote:
John Brennan wrote:C'mon, guys, mc2racing sell the "mini starter," which costs a little over $100, incorporates a built-in solenoid, weighs less, works better, solves world hunger, and is guaranteed to Get You That Girl. Why screw around with the old piece, in a foreign land where they aren't made anymore (and good riddance)?

This was my thought as well. Additionally, isn't this starter from another car? IIRC a Mustang? I'm betting there are other 5-oh powered cars in Oz that use this device. Can someone supply a part number so it can be cross-referenced?

I'm not so sure that going that route is for this guy or everyone; each person has to decide for herself/himself. It may be a reasonably simple bolt-into-bellhousing installation swap as far as the actual motor is concerned, but for the non-avid wrencher, there's also the minor but important issue of what to do with the wiring to the original solenoid (the small wires to the S and R terminal). If they simply attach to this "newer" starter, wonderful; if there's a bit more "electrical re-engineering" of wiring required, it may not be for everyone.

BTW, who cares to explain how the mini -starter can be better?; the OEM and rebuilt replacements start the 2.3 just fine and are quite durable, IMO. And, why should anyone believe that a built-in solenoid is better than an external one which, when defective requires replacement of the entire starter????????? :wink:

YMMV 8)
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I think the primary reason for migrating is a substantial weight savings. That and the fact that the smaller starter is a newer design, which aside from implied technical improvements, at least nets wider availability for a longer period of time. For me, updating to newer parts is as much about performance as it is ease of sourcing them in the future compared to genuine XR4Ti parts...

Edit: Plus, if we're talking about shipping something overseas, it sure makes sense to me to keep that shipping weight down. :)
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

If one is really concerned about saving weight, he/she'll go on a diet. Maybe not JB, but lots of average 'Mericans could easily lose more than a few pounds.

As well, take some of that junk out of the trunk (not your body booty, the car's rear storage) that most people carry around and you might save that and more.

What does the OEM starter weigh? I've changed a couple out, so I know it's a weighty bastard...maybe 25-30lbs? And what does the mini starter weigh? Whatever, doesn't strike me as a very BFD for other than the autocross crowd.

My prior post asked how the mini can crank "better"? No one has answered that yet.

Newer starter technology? Well, in terms of making a device that is smaller yet able to meet the cranking needs, yes; but the OEM starter is a reliable sucker, and because so many 2.3s were made are are still in use, replacements will be available for it for a looooonnnnnnng time.

Yes, shipping the OEM replacement to Aus. will be more expensive than shipping the mini. IIRC, the OEM [from Advance Auto, e.g.] costs ~$30 less than what MCRacing sells the mini for, maybe enough to cover the extra weight charge. :wink:

YMMV 8)
turbofan
Level 7
Level 7

Post by turbofan »

why would you buy the heavier one unless it's significantly cheaper? the lighter one's easier to heft overhead and into place, if nothing else! the smaller one is probably just as reliable as the larger one. you say that the larger one could be better cuz the parts are easier to get to if it fails... let's see... buy a new mini with all new parts, or a remanufactured OEM... go with the new stuff!
Ed (yep, another Ed....)

THEY ALL (except partsie) RUN!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/turbofan