flywheel

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
turbofan
Level 7
Level 7

flywheel

Post by turbofan » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:42 pm

hey guys! need some help again.

so sometimes when i go to start the car the starter just freewheels. it usually EVENTUALLY works, but it's pretty scary and i never know when it's gonna leave me stranded!!! from what i understand, i need a new flywheel or something... my guess is that the teeth that the starter run on are screwed up. any suggestions on best course of action from here?
Ed (yep, another Ed....)

THEY ALL (except partsie) RUN!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/turbofan

thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:00 pm

Are you sure it isn't the starter itself that's messed up? I'd crawl under there, pull off the starter, and check to see where the problem is. Stripping the ring gear is relatively unusual...

mangostick
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mangostick » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:01 pm

woah man..before you go thinkin you've got major surgury in front of you...pull the starter and have it bench tested. I had very similar symtoms out of my merk a while ago and as it turned out the bendix gear on the starter had taken a poop on me. The cost of a new starter and a 1030pm intsall was much better than dropping a tranny for a flywheel change. If it IS by strange chance the flywheel... it could very well be time to just have the ring gear replaced. Most machine shops can either flip or replace that gear without much issue. Or of course, you could always pop a nice lightened steel unit on there :wink: but most likely its your starter.
where'd I put that damned hammer?? :-D

Shawn Mangan

turbofan
Level 7
Level 7

Post by turbofan » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:43 pm

:shock: thanks guys! where's the bendix gear?

i didn't think it'd be the starter cuz it turns fine... but then it could be the starter gear that's messed up! :oops: :lol: well, i'll check it out... how annoying!

edit: oh... and uh... pardon my stupidity... what's the ring gear, what's it do, what's involved in replacing it? i know i've heard of the thing before but for the life of me i can't remember what the poo it is!!! :?
Ed (yep, another Ed....)

thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:50 am

The flywheel is just is a big circular piece of metal. The gear the starter actually turns is called the ring gear, and it's pressed onto the flywheel. If yours is stripped, a machine shop can press it off the flywheel and either turn it around (so the starter engages the other side) or replace it. Or, you can probably buy a 2.3t flywheel for $20 at a junkyard and save yourself a trip to the machine shop...

wilky
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wilky » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:31 am

I think you just need a new starter motor. When the starter motor first starts to turn it pushes a small gear along it's shaft so that the teeth on this little gear engage the teeth on the flywheel and turn the engine. Once the engine starts and you stop the starter motor the little gear disengages itself from the flywheel. Sounds like the liitle gear on the starter motor is stuck - it may only need a clean and oil. Worth a try anyway before you go spending your money on bits you may not need.

Wilky
Seeking relationship with sexy lady Merkur owner (send pic of Merkur).

turbofan
Level 7
Level 7

Post by turbofan » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:45 am

thanks for the explanation, i somehow never knew flywheels were two pieces like that. i'm makin myself look stupid!

thanks for the suggestions, i'll be pullin it off within the next few days, i think...
Ed (yep, another Ed....)

MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:46 am

The teeth on the starter are intentionally made softer than the teeth on the flywheel. It's most likely just your starter that needs to be changed. Although I'm sure it's happened, I have never heard of a flywheel's teeth getting chewed.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.

Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:12 pm

The flywheel teeth got "chewed" on my '82 Corolla and my dad's '78 F-150... mysteriously right after my mother drove each vehicle... Hmmmmm... :?
Colin Doyle
'89 Scorpio | Volvo B234F head | Holset HX35 | Megasquirt | T5 | 8.8 IRS | mc²racing suspension
File to fit, paint to match.

anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:50 pm

If you starter doesn't engage sometimes, but does engage and works normally other times, the problem almost certainly is not a gear. If I am understanding what you wrote, the starter isn't grinding when you engage it correct? Just freewheeling. Sounds to me like the starter gear isn't getting kicked out to engage the flywheel.

Since the stock XR doesn't contain the solenoid, it still needs a mechanism for kicking the gear out. You can see that it is located under the panel on the side of the stock starter in this picture:

So, if it freewheels completely (no grinding) and engages occasionally, you probably need a new starter and the gears are okay. You could have it repaired if you needed to, I suppose. But replacement probably costs about the same.

turbofan
Level 7
Level 7

Post by turbofan » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:55 pm

that is correct mr. anglin. no grinding. however, and i've wondered if this is related......

it used to be right around 2k rpm i'd hear some sort of rattling noise and vibration. then the sound got worse and this problem also got worse. now the sound happens a lot...... you can't hear it from the outside of the car hardly at all, especially if you've got your head under the hood to move the throttle to get the right rpm to make the noise happen. you can mostly only hear it from inside the car. when going through a parking lot, it sounds like the car is trying to kill itself... :shock: :?
Ed (yep, another Ed....)

Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:00 pm

Pick up a new starter.

It sounds like the starter gear is either hanging up inside the unit when it doesn't start, or it's hanging partially out when you hear the other noise and it's catching on the flywheel a bit.

Either way, sounds like toast to me...or at least stale and lightly browned.
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."