Emergency Brake Cable Removal

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
fast_xr4@yahoo.com
Level 2
Level 2

Emergency Brake Cable Removal

Post by fast_xr4@yahoo.com »

Like the subject says...can the emergency brake cable be removed? I'm dropping the entire rear to replace just about everything and would like to disconnect the emergency brake.

Thanks
Keith
'86 XR 340rwhp @ 5k
'05 STi dp, hdr
'05 Freestyle CAI
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I can't think of any reason why it can't be removed. I was actually thinking about grabbing the one off the California XR that's been at my local junkyard - just haven't had the time or enough desire. No doubt, they'll crush the car and two days later mine will snap. :evil:
Specktor
Level 2
Level 2

e brake

Post by Specktor »

Well it can be removed. When I picked up my xr4 one side was broken and the bell crank attached to the ebrake handle was bouncing off the drive shaft . But couldn't get the cable off . So I took the center consold out around the ebrake handle unbolted it and pulled it up enough to see the aluminum press rivet that the small shaft connects to the handle and drilled it out. the cable dropped free and I Just popped off the rear drums and removed the cable. And you can replace the small Rivet with a bolt . Just have to remember to get a new ebrake cable of of these days.
88 maroon xr4ti,
88 xr4ti now blue.
88 xr4ti black,
88 xr4ti red,
88 xr4ti white.
Can I stop now I'm broke.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: e brake

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Specktor wrote:Well it can be removed. When I picked up my xr4 one side was broken and the bell crank attached to the ebrake handle was bouncing off the drive shaft . But couldn't get the cable off . So I took the center consold out around the ebrake handle unbolted it and pulled it up enough to see the aluminum press rivet that the small shaft connects to the handle and drilled it out. the cable dropped free and I Just popped off the rear drums and removed the cable. And you can replace the small Rivet with a bolt . Just have to remember to get a new ebrake cable of of these days.
Thanks for posting this. So you're saying that short of removing the entire assembly, the only way to get it disconnected at the lever is to drill out the rivet?
Specktor
Level 2
Level 2

ebrake

Post by Specktor »

On mine I couldn't find any other way to get it off . Supposedly the shaft that I was discribing I think was threaded and has a nut to hold the belt crank on it ,mine was damaged from hitting the drive shaft so I can't confirm it. But there should have been , its the only thing that would make sense
88 maroon xr4ti,
88 xr4ti now blue.
88 xr4ti black,
88 xr4ti red,
88 xr4ti white.
fast_xr4@yahoo.com
Level 2
Level 2

Anglin and Grayson wrote up some directions as part of the rear beam mount bushing install on their www.mc2racing.com web page as well. Seems like no drilling/cutting isn't normally required but the components can get pretty corroded and beat up.
'86 XR 340rwhp @ 5k
'05 STi dp, hdr
'05 Freestyle CAI
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

?

Post by Mike McCreight »

That pin can really get stuck in there... Ian suggested putting a socket behind the bracket that connects to the E-brake handle so the pin would have somewhere to go when you pound on it. Had to drop the exhaust to get at it, but his trick worked great. My winter beater's cable snapped last spring, and I too had to drive around with the handle up to prevent the thing from rattling on the driveshaft. I managed to get quite a few E-brake cables, and promptly replaced them on all my XRs...
Anyone need a NEW E-brake cable??
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
Specktor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Specktor »

I do if I every get my car back from ford. Next time I just take the time off from work and fix it myself.
88 maroon xr4ti,
88 xr4ti now blue.
88 xr4ti black,
88 xr4ti red,
88 xr4ti white.
fast_xr4@yahoo.com
Level 2
Level 2

What's the cost? Mine looks like hell froze over, salted and thawed. Winters in Ohio are brutal.
'86 XR 340rwhp @ 5k
'05 STi dp, hdr
'05 Freestyle CAI
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

?

Post by Mike McCreight »

fast_xr4@yahoo.com wrote:What's the cost? Mine looks like hell froze over, salted and thawed. Winters in Ohio are brutal.
$65!!
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!